Sick bay tree

Reaction score
Country
France
I have a 23 year old lollipop Bay tree in a large pot. It looking rather sick with black spots on the leaves and some leaves are browning at the ends.
It has been been in this very large pot for several years and really can't go in any larger pot.
Need advise if I remove from pot can I cut some of the roots and refresh the soil. I have tried feeding it regularly but it does nit seem to be improving.

Attachments

• 16527967951345527279041231657479.jpg
    16527967951345527279041231657479.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 16527968196902052385794955398272.jpg
    16527968196902052385794955398272.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I believe that what your have is a bacterial leaf spot disease and has nothing to do with being root bound or not. A strain of bacterial leaf spot named Phytophthora ramorun is probably what it is as this disease is very common in bay trees. I would keep the leaves dry and spray with FRESH Neem Oil every 7-10 days until cured.

Reaction score
Country
France
I believe that what your have is a bacterial leaf spot disease and has nothing to do with being root bound or not. A strain of bacterial leaf spot named Phytophthora ramorun is probably what it is as this disease is very common in bay trees. I would keep the leaves dry and spray with FRESH Neem Oil every 7-10 days until cured.
Thank you ,I will try the neem oil .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Phytophthora ramorun

If I may add to Chuck's comment. It might be of interest to members who have an assortment of trees, to check out, Phytophthora ramorun in Wikipedia etc. Across the world, it has caused the death of several varieties.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
check out, Phytophthora ramorun
Ouch! That sounds really nasty, incurable as far as foresters are concerned, spread by water, rain splashing, and in air, killing whole forests, people felling thousands of trees in attempts to contain it, and it only turned up about thirty years ago so it's probably got a way to go. Really nasty, I would be tempted to say forget trying to treat it, burn the tree before it goes any further.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ouch! That sounds really nasty, incurable as far as foresters are concerned, spread by water, rain splashing, and in air, killing whole forests, people felling thousands of trees in attempts to contain it, and it only turned up about thirty years ago so it's probably got a way to go. Really nasty, I would be tempted to say forget trying to treat it, burn the tree before it goes any further.
I wouldn't go that far as to burn it as this disease affects different trees in different ways. It is fairly common in bay trees and curable. It only affects the leaves on Bay trees, causes twig and stem dieback on other species, but, is death on many types of oaks. It is called Sudden Oak Death disease on oaks because of which it is the most fatal. And it might not be PR. It just looks like it, more so than other leaf spot diseases but is treated the same as all leaf spot diseases.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, how we can learn from these forums. I live opposite a small park, and directly across the road is a stand of several Laurus nobilis, (Bay trees). The birds gorge themselves on the fruits, and eventually the seeds are plentifully deposited in neighbouring gardens. What with them and the winged seeds of the Sycamores and various Acers our gardens can, if neglected, soon become tree nurseries.

I have often potted up bay seedlings. They are pretty fast growers, so that by the end of their first season, you can easily have a plant of some twelve inches high. I have often noticed the odd leaf having the infected evidence. I admit. Little note is made of this. Naughty plant pathologist. Material on your doorstep, etc. Perhaps one day, a sample will find it's way to my microscope.

In the meantime. We so often resort to chemical sprays etc, when our plants show signs of attack. These sprays/treatments do not provide a cure. A diseased leaf/twig will remain such until it is removed, naturally or by your hand. The point of burning. Here I refer to the burning of rose leaves etc blighted by Black-Spot. Many bacterial attacks/infections, will stay on it's victim long after even athe fall and end of season. The bacteria can survive in the soil and the dying leaves etc. So the very wise advice is to burn. So the benefits of spraying. Here you basically cover/coat the surface of the plant,s structure so as to form a barrier against such invasions. Hope this is of some use.

Reaction score
Country
France
Oh, how we can learn from these forums. I live opposite a small park, and directly across the road is a stand of several Laurus nobilis, (Bay trees). The birds gorge themselves on the fruits, and eventually the seeds are plentifully deposited in neighbouring gardens. What with them and the winged seeds of the Sycamores and various Acers our gardens can, if neglected, soon become tree nurseries.

I have often potted up bay seedlings. They are pretty fast growers, so that by the end of their first season, you can easily have a plant of some twelve inches high. I have often noticed the odd leaf having the infected evidence. I admit. Little note is made of this. Naughty plant pathologist. Material on your doorstep, etc. Perhaps one day, a sample will find it's way to my microscope.

In the meantime. We so often resort to chemical sprays etc, when our plants show signs of attack. These sprays/treatments do not provide a cure. A diseased leaf/twig will remain such until it is removed, naturally or by your hand. The point of burning. Here I refer to the burning of rose leaves etc blighted by Black-Spot. Many bacterial attacks/infections, will stay on it's victim long after even athe fall and end of season. The bacteria can survive in the soil and the dying leaves etc. So the very wise advice is to burn. So the benefits of spraying. Here you basically cover/coat the surface of the plant,s structure so as to form a barrier against such invasions. Hope this is of some use.
Well very informative if not concerning. I am going to do my up most to try to continuously treat my bay tree as don't want to burn it as the tree has sentiment value and have had since the birth of my son. So like children I will continue to nurture it...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, that was a bit of a knee jerk reaction after reading about Japanese larch forests dying in Ireland and thousands more being felled trying to contain it. It seems what someone was saying earlier about it affecting different species differently is very much the case. Worth remembering that until you have the infection under control it is a potential source of infection to more susceptible species. Like Mike says good housekeeping is one of the best ways to control infection, tidy up those dead leaves. It makes a huge difference with black spot in roses, I don't see why it wouldn't here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Ooops! I sense perhaps a little misunderstanding asto what has been written.
Sarpat. I am totally with you, and would probably do the same as you under the circumstances. OK. Bacterial and viral infections of trees, have over time produced some very sad and drastic attempts at control.
Some degree of semblance is called for. Example: A large forest area of possible affected trees, probably on a closer examination, perhaps many trees would be unaffected, well, for the time being. The cost of treating the whole area of trees, no doubt would be out of the question. So cuuting down and then treating the ground, in the long term would be the cheaper.

One problem with bacterial and viral attacks is, but NOT always a feature. The leaves are the usual first contact. Once a leaf is infected, it's days are numbered. No amount of spraying will repair the damage, the bacterim will continue to eat it's way through the leaf like a cancer. In the event of the leafe not naturally falling or being removed. The infection can in some cases enter the structure of the plant, the wooded parts. In some cases this can be the death knell for the plant. Here, IMO the owner of such plant can decide. Totally destroy the plant or, or and some may shy away from this method. As devastating as it may seem. The plant/tree can be cut down to say a foot from the ground. Provide the root system hasn't been infected and is strong. Very soon the stem/trunk will produce new growth. So all is not lost. I have attempted to keep the language here as simple as possible. Enjoy your gardening and your tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This disease, if it is Phytophthora ramorum IT IS curable in bay trees. @Mike Allen is correct is stating that affected leaves cannot be cured and made healthy again. He is also correct in his statement about infection of a large forest area being contaminated by another infected plant. However, if you aren't in close proximity of infectable trees (4 miles minimum) it is extremely unlikely for disease transmission. This disease requires water to spread via windblown fungal spores. If the spores are unable to be transmitted and they cannot be transmitted if treatment is applied to a bay tree then it is safe. The affected leaves will turn yellow, then brown and fall off. They must then be burned. New leaves will appear and if they are treated nothing will happen to them. Now, having said all of this, it is imperative for you to get in touch with the proper authorities and find out for sure if this actually is this dreaded disease or not. If it is then I agree that the tree should be burned along with the soil it is planted in, but find out for sure first. It is just not worth taking any chances no matter how slim they are if this tree does have P r.

Ask a Question