Shredded leaves speeds compost??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know much about composting, I'm learning and read so many articles and information I can get about the subject. One of my friends who work in a building close to my place told me his maintenance crew have a "leave shredder" machine called Billy Goat that they use to pick up all the leaves around the property but they don't keep them, they just put the shredded leaves out for Sanitation pick up (meaning garbage).

I'll talk to the guys to see if they are willing to give me the shredded leaves for composting, I'll offer bags to collect them.
I think it's a good idea to start a compost pile.

(y)

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
My mom says the same thing.. she keeps the fallen leaves and said they are good for the soil as natural fertilizers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Mike McGrath is one of the best. (y) He has a bizarre sense of humor but when it comes to gardening. (organic) He knows an awful lot. That's a good post.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting post. I have 5 trees that drop an awful lot of leaves that usually get thrown out I would prefer to use them for compost for my yard.

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Shredded leaves are one of the best materials you can use as compost. It's small, making it easier to handle and work with, it contains twice as many minerals as manure, not to mention it doesn't have the pungent smell manure contains, and last but definitely not the least, it's free!

Ask a Question