Show off your garden shed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think it would be fun to see the different garden sheds people are using. Mine is a little 8x3 shack. It's small and full. I'd love to get a wheel borrow, but just no room. Pegboard helps a ton inside though.

Let's see what others are using.

20170315_170638.jpg
20170315_170627.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I do like to see a tidy, well organised shed (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do like to see a tidy, well organised shed (y)
yup, me too, that's why I'm hoping to see some!(y) Hoping to get some good ideas to steal as well. I'm a bit of a grease monkey and there was a similar thread on another forum for garages. Got some great storage ideas for the garage from that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
100_7167.JPG
My shed is one to the left top of the picture. It is about 15 years old. loaded with stuff. the riding mower, the push mower, the weed wacker, shelves of trays, bags of lawn seed, animal traps, shovels, a cart , drill press, tools, cat carriers, bike, fertilizers, sprinklers, hoses, saws, chain saws, rakes, seed spreader, chipper, gas log splitter, boards, pots, soil. that is all I can visualize without looking, sure probably missed something. Snow in front of it now, so can't open door.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi,

I'm trying to look for a garden shed for my backyard to keep my lawn mower few chairs and a ladder. I didn't know how expensive these garden sheds are until I started browsing. I'm willing to spend around $150 max and the least expensive I found was in bunnings $121 but the handy man is asking $200 to pick it up on my Garden Shed and assemble for me. This is a very small shed and I don't believe how pricey it is. Share me something if better if something...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've two sheds.

This is the rabbit shed I built for our seven year-old daughter in 1975, to house her collection of rabbits and guinea pigs. We still call it that, though it hasn't seen any animals for decades. We got left with the last rabbit, when she went off to train as a nurse at Great Ormond Street Hospital when she was eighteen. We had to care for it for a further six years before it died. I built it from reclaimed timber and roofing ply, plus three of next door's wooden windows, which were being chucked out when they had their double glazing put in. The back wall of the garage is part of the structure.

I changed the roofing felt for the second time in its life this year. It's still in perfect condition and houses my gardening equipment.

P1020443.JPG

Not strictly a "shed." I have this room I built in the back of the garage, it originally housed the filters for the koi pool plus a 300 gallon quarantine tank and filter.

P1020449.JPG

P1020451.JPG

P1020555.JPG

Now after "a tart up" I use it to house two back-up freezers, (formerly in the rabbit shed) a Budweiser fridge and garden furniture. I have all the facilities for tea or coffee making when I'm gardening, so I don't have to constantly get my wife to do it.

P1020999.JPG

P1030001.JPG

This is our "Tea-shed" It's partly inspired by illustrations I found it old books in Manchester Central Library, of garden buildings, particularly tea-houses, built for "the landed gentry" by Japanese workmen in Victorian times, when "all things Japanese" became the fashion. Plus a few ideas of my own. It wwas to compliment our 3000 gall koi pool, which I had filled in and paved over a month or so ago.
I made it from rough sawn timber I planed down, roofing ply, some 2" X 1" and some recycled defusers from some discarded store light fittings. This was back in 1987. I changed the roofing felt about 8 years ago. It's still in perfect condition and houses my two vinyl jukeboxes, I use for "gardening music."

P1020705.JPG

P1020709.JPG

P1020955.JPG

I put photograaphs of the build on YouTube seven years ago. it's had over 76,000 hits.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our tea-house/shed has had an "upgrade."

Watching a TV drama on Monday night in my "den"...(OK our front room) I had difficulty reading a message on a mobile phone shown briefly to the camera, so I had to freeze the picture to understand what it said.

P1010896.JPG

I then realised that the TV in this room a 32" Panasonic Viera, was probably the smallest TV owned by anyone in our family. We've a big TV in the lounge my wife watches mostly, as a lot of the stuff I watch, which isn't much, isn't to her liking. All our kids have big TVs in their homes.

So I decided that I needed a bigger set. So I went out yesterday and bought this Sony Bravia 4k 43".
The set's fine but it's a bit of a pain as the feet are too wide to sit on the TV table and I don't want a bigger one. So temporarily, it's sitting on a sheet of laminate flooring on the old stand I made, as I need the soundbar under it as I had before. I've ordered a proper stand for it.

(This is Marion Bartolli, former Wimbledon Champion, who that numpty John Inverdale once described on air as; "she'll never be a looker," for which he had to make a grovelling apology. I think she's quite attractive.

P1030086.JPG

So the old Panasonic is surplus. We don't want a TV in the bedroom and I've a little 14" CRT set in the shelving unit above my desk in my office..alright, our box bedroom. No room for it in there.

So I decided to put it in the tea-house. to replace the little 14" CRT set I had in there.

I needed to put it on a shelf. So I bought a piece of hardwood bullnosed window sill, no change out of twenty quid, but with a bit of sanding and some beeswax, it "looks the business."

P1030088.JPG

P1030087.JPG

This wood is ideal for anyone who isn't a great carpenter or has a lot of tools to achieve something that looks professional.

I used the same wood to make this bookcase still loking good after twenty years of life in our hall. It's just screwed together and the shlves supported on brackets.
No bending of the shelves as you would get if it were MDF, softwood or Contiplas.

P1000961.JPG

Trouble is this, sort of hardwood is very expensive now, it'd cost me over £200 to make it again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like the japanese tea house idea! Looks really cool, actually i want to build a shed but i still looking for modern design ideas, i moved to Australia few months ago for working here, and i bought a big home in Melbourne but i was surprised that it doesn’t has a garage for the car or shed in backyard and i had to build them, i started with the concrete base for shed and searched in internet for shed and garage models, as a new here i didn’t know any steel and wood companies so i asked the neighbours and them told me about this site http://localshedsolutions.com.au/ so i ordered enough wood for both shed and garage and actually i really liked the tea house idea and i might build one, i have enough space in my yard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
what material did you use to build the japanese tea house's roof ?

Thanks for asking.

The roof, walls and floor were all made out of half inch roofing plywood, which I purchased in 8ft X 4ft sheets.

At that thickness it will bend. It's just a case of starting to screw it to the soffits, starting from the perlin, every couple of inches or so.

06_10_10.JPEG

With the off-cuts I boxed in the ceiling. But not above the veranda.

P1030070.JPG

There's a boxed in atrium (for want of a better word), that gives access to the skylight, but I felted over it as it just increased the heat in the summer.

P1020541.JPG

In the summer I can lift up one end of the skylight and two halves of an old dishwasher cutlery basket and a bit of 2" X 3" form a ventilator. Two bits of wedge-shaped wood attached to the cover stops "anything" getting in.

P1020994.JPG

P1040374.JPG

There's two vents in the bottom of the back wall to get a bit of air through it when it's really hot.

The floor is about a foot off the ground and has 9" skirts on three sides which finish two inches above the path, so it's never suffered from rot.

There was no skirt at the back, I kept it open for ventilation. But that's where in 2017, our "Fiona" got in and gave birth to six cubs.

So when they'd all left home I made a wood and mesh screen to cover it to prevent her for using it again.

P1000618.JPG

I've got to say we enjoyed the experience but didn't want to repeat it.

Ask a Question