Should we add a new forum?

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Since there is a forum marked "Organic Gardening" on this site, should there not be a forum called "Synthetic Chemical Gardening"?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
and then we would need to know the addresses of those active members so we can show up with our pitch forks and torches....:D

just kidding - hope you were!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think it would be very popular ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
LOL. I don't think it would be a very popular forum either.
But thank you for differentiating between "chemicals" and "synthetic chemicals." :)

Reaction score
Hahahaha, good one :p I got your joke, very funny :) Now that would be such an interesting addition to have ;) I have yet to check the organic sub forum :oops: Haven't been doing a lot gardening and photography lately, but soon I will :D I actually wish there were a forum section for gardening DIY projects... ranging from painted rocks to fence ideas :love:

InvasiveCreeper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, it was a joke. :)

Although we could use the thread to point out all of the faults and downfalls of gardening this way, layout the harmful chemicals, the history behind these companies, etc

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Although we could use the thread to point out all of the faults and downfalls of gardening this way, layout the harmful chemicals, the history behind these companies, etc

A thread like this would also help new gardeners who want to go chemical free or learn more about the harm some chemical do to our wild life and the pet that play in our yards.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
How come everyone seems to be against chemicals and some even mild fertilizers? Chemicals when used appropriately don't harm people, pets or the environment and are essential to maintain a nice property. It is not possible to maintain a manicured property without the use of certain chemicals and weed killers no matter what anyone says. I think this forum does a disservice to the members by not having discussions about chemicals. Chemicals are a valuable part of gardening and maintaining property

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

We could indeed but I think it could become a rather argumentive forum!
This board tends to skew more towards organic/natural but plenty here use commercial chemical applications for some things and they get mentioned and discussed in the context in which they're brought up.

InvasiveCreeper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think all “organic” gardeners should just be called gardeners and all gardening forums should by default just be considered “organic”. Those who wish to deviate from the way gardening has been done from the beginning of time should have the special designation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I think all “organic” gardeners should just be called gardeners and all gardening forums should by default just be considered “organic”. Those who wish to deviate from the way gardening has been done from the beginning of time should have the special designation.

And then it can be called the I love weeds forum...

InvasiveCreeper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Jersey Marine:
How come everyone seems to be against chemicals and some even mild fertilizers?

I love chemicals and fertilizers. I just don’t like synthetic chemicals and fertilizers. We should cultivate the life in our soil. Sowing seeds in fertile soil, rich in microbial life, building soil over time, that is when you have a garden that deepens, develops and flourishes over time.

Last edited:

InvasiveCreeper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Jersey Marine:
And then it can be called the I love weeds forum

You need to read up on the normal ways of gardening. Proper mulching, use of ground cover, and other simple ways to reduce or eliminate prolific plants that you wish to keep in check.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

On the one hand what you say makes a sort of sense, but on the other hand, if every human endeavor is only valid and true if done just as in "since the beginning of time" we'd still be foraging for wild greens, lighting fires with flints or by lightning, dying at 35 and we would not have invented the wheel (and transportation, and the internet, and the written language....!) The mere fact you are able to type your post on a computer and reach people all over the globe in seconds has a whole lot to do with synthetic chemicals (transportation/fuel and technology, all of which involve heavy use of synthetic chemicals and processes) and all sorts of other advances. And, granted, negative as well as positive consequenses; it's a balancing act.

But truly, if you are anti-synthetic chemicals and modern technology and want to be in harmony with your beliefs, why do you even own a computer? Or a car? Or rely on the grid? Or own or utilize anything that has to be manufactured or shipped anywhere? Because none of this would be possible without the worldwide petrochemical complex and synthetic chemicals, truly.

Personally, I enjoy modern life and this current conversation which would be impossible if we were still communicating without written language, let alone the world-wide grid. I do my own little best to reduce my carbon footprint where I can, and actually very, very rarely employ the use of commercial products in my garden, but let's get realistic here. If you own a computer, are on the grid, and ever purchase anything that was not produced locally (and I am guessing this includes whatever device you are using to browse the internet), shop anywhere, ever, (you never shop at grocery stores?) then you are part of, and benefiting from, the petrochemical complex and synthetic chemicals and all of that.

Doesn't mean you are not a "normal" or "non-organic" human. ;) But the very fact that you are posting here is evidence you are as much of the complex as we all are, so I don't see how cherry-picking non-organic gardening as teh evil advances any sort of cause. If you don't want to use commercial applications, then don't. I would totally respect the integrity of someone who lives off the grid and sincerely believes that do do otherwise is wrong - and I'm an old hippie kid, and lived exactly that way for many years, no running water or plumbing or electricity or heat and quite frankly I wouldn't want to go back there ever - but someone on the grid berating other? Not so much.

InvasiveCreeper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Beth:
If you are anti-synthetic chemicals and modern technology and want to be in harmony with your beliefs, why do you even own a computer? Or a car? Or rely on the grid?

It is one thing to make a comb out of plastic and comb your hair, it is another to take the chemicals designed to poison and kill people in WWI and WWII and apply them to the garden in hopes of killing insects and other pests. I never said I was against technology.

Buy Round Up and gas your garden if you wish, that would be your choice, I prefer to create a garden that nurtures the pollinators and doesn't wipe them out, I prefer to build the soil that gives life to my plants and not saturate it with synthetic chemicals. To each his own, but the normal, traditional way of gardening has gone on long before Monsanto ever came along.

Last edited:

Ask a Question