Should I re-pot my orchid or will i kill it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have had an orchid for a little over two weeks now. The roots are coming out of the top of the pot, and everywhere says that means I should re-pot it, but only if necessary. He's still blooming so should i wait until after he stops? I'm very new to being a plant parent and i'm very wary of the fact that re-potting him could result in killing him. If i leave him, is there anything i can do about the overgrowing roots?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There usually isn't an impending need to repot an orchid just because there are exposed roots, but a larger pot can give the plant more growing room and will also keep it from becoming so top-heavy that it will tip over.

However if the sphagnum or orchid bark media has decomposed to the point that drainage is being impeded, even slightly, then you should repot post-haste. This is assuming the media is organic-based. Orchids planted in lava rock or expanded clay pellets will only rarely need to be repotted for this reason.

Repotting isn't very likely to kill an orchid, just do it carefully and methodically. Remember to cut off dead roots, while treating the living roots with gentle care.

Of course, repotting is a skill, but it is not that hard and their are endless books and videos to guide you step-by-step. If you feel you did it badly on your first try, you can always take the orchid out and try it again. Orchids are very forgiving in that way.

Ask a Question