Should I get an edger?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have any experience with an edger? Should I purchase one, is it really worth the money? I feel as if the weed eater will do just the same, but however, I have seen some homes with nicely groomed yards and I have to only assume they used an edger. I would like the clean cut grass around the edge but I'm not sure if I want to invest in another yard tool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome bigsumm22. :) I had to look up weed eater as we call it a strimmer here. We speak the same language but with different meanings. :)

I don't know if we're talking non mechanical here, but I've never used an edger of any kind, a spade is all I need. I do cheat in between edging and use the strimmer but it doesn't give a good finish, although it's enough to tidy up where my mower doesn't reach.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Growing up, my dad had an edger at home, and I have to say that I loved the neatness and order of the garden there. Something about having the edges all in check and order just made everything else look more "put together" too, if that makes sense.

Right now as an adult, I don't have one myself but I would like to get one at some stage. I just think it gives a more finished and polished appearance to the lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
If you are maintaining a neat lawn, you would be needing an edger to maintain the neatness. Our lawn is very small so we can forgo with the edger although our cutter does the job. And if you have a lot of time to spend in your garden, particularly in the lawn, I guess the simple grass cutter can do the job. You will just have to learn how to do it well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I always like how my yard looks after it has been edged. When I hire my maintenance guy to care for my lawn, edging was one of my requests. So I think if you could afford it, then go for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I always like how my yard looks after it has been edged. When I hire my maintenance guy to care for my lawn, edging was one of my requests. So I think if you could afford it, then go for it.

Manual edgers are cheap and do a better job than anything in my opinion. I don't have a huge yard, but it only takes about 20 min to edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I edge all my beds in the spring with a spade, followed up with mulch. After that I maintain it with my string trimmer using a heavier gauge string that is on a spare reel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Manual edger is a great investment IMO

20170526_073022.jpg

Ask a Question