Should I choose a wooden archway or a metal one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need everyone's opinion. I'd like to have a Zéphirine Drouhin rose archway, but here's my dilemma: Should I go for a wooden archway or a metal one? On the one hand, a wood one could rot even if it was treated. And on the other hand, a metal one could rust. Which would you choose?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on the metal, you don't want it to look like scaffolding, you can do more with wood.
Not an arch, but something similar. I built this about thirty years ago, to complement my koi pool, Japanese lanterns and tea-house.

IMG_20220708_0001.jpg

But of course it eventually rotted like most wooden garden structures, "from the feet up."

We've two pergolas that have been up over 25 years that are wooden. They are pretty heavy duty, this, (as can the other) can easily take my weight if I need to get on the flat roof extension of our lounge. They are fixed to a beam on the back wall above the French windows The single support posts are 16ft apart. Can't afford them to rot.

P1040330.JPG

But the feet of the support posts are protected.

The bases sit on and are screwed to a small bit of terrazzo which in turn is screwed to the York stone patio. I made, "elephants feet" out of fine mix concrete, with a dyed skim of mortar. There's a bead of clear silicone around where the wood enters the foot, to stop any water penetration. The tops of the posts have plywood caps screwed to them with silicone between them and the cross beams. All painted with Dulux exterior Woodsheen.

P1050935.JPG

P1040152.JPG

So no rot.

If you choose a wooden arch you could try something similar.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Remember with wood, you have to paint it, treat it, etc. every year, or at least every 2 years. now you have something climbing on it, how do you handle that? up to you. We just painted our wooden deck railings two summers ago. Raising my climbing vine carefully with soft sheeting. wrapping the vines with more sheeting to protect it from the power sprayer. Cutting it back so small. My heart hurt thinking I am killing it. But it grew back awesome . anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
If you use tanilsed wood then you won't need paint. It'll just weather, but you'll have to protect the feet.
I use this "10 yr guarantee," Dulux paint every few years, to brighten it up. It's £64 for 2.5 ltrs but worth it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I prefer timber, I would use fencing spikes in the ground and tanalised timber to minimise rot. Metal is the stuff of machines.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Depending on how you are going to build it you could also use composite decking or plastic lattice strips.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
What you get nowadays, in the UK, even for serious money, is not much better than balsa wood.
I honwestly wonder if they build the crap from matchsticks.
It looks nicest, but you've got to reinforce it with sealant & varnish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What you get nowadays, in the UK, even for serious money, is not much better than balsa wood.
I honwestly wonder if they build the crap from matchsticks.
It looks nicest, but you've got to reinforce it with sealant & varnish.
I got a new kitchen knife today. They call it wood but like most kitchen grade stuff its sanitary and some kinda fake wood. But it looks nice. I am sure the fake deck wood or other options are out there to replace the weaknesses of organic materials.
IMG_20230117_115040_01.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I need everyone's opinion. I'd like to have a Zéphirine Drouhin rose archway, but here's my dilemma: Should I go for a wooden archway or a metal one? On the one hand, a wood one could rot even if it was treated. And on the other hand, a metal one could rust. Which would you choose?
Mine is on a metal one right now. if you buy one from a creditable garden company they should be better and not rust. You can also ----when you get the new metal one----get the black rust preventative spray and give it a good 2-3 coats. take you time with letting it completely dry between each, focus on the lower areas that go in the ground.

Ask a Question