Should I be worried about my cherry tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted a 4ft north star cherry sapling this spring. The tree had a few cherries when I planted it that died but the leaves survived.

A few weeks ago the tree started sprouting new leaves. At the same time the original leaves started to curl and brown.

This weekend the new leaves began to droop and now they're curling. Its been really hot here in PA but i've been watering it daily.

Any idea what might be the issue? Should I be worried?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well my cherry is almost bare. They do come out early in the spring so maybe it is just confused due to new planting. Care for it now with a root care thesis appropriate for your soil type and enjoy the early blossoms next year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well my cherry is almost bare. They do come out early in the spring so maybe it is just confused due to new planting. Care for it now with a root care thesis appropriate for your soil type and enjoy the early blossoms next year.
What is a root care thesis?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water deeply, not daily. A cherry tree will want air at its roots as well as water. Watering too frequently can lead to root rot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water deeply, not daily. A cherry tree will want air at its roots as well as water. Watering too frequently can lead to root rot.
I should say, I've been watering daily over the past few days because of the heat.

I've been watering it once or twice a week and I used one of those bags that lets the water leak out over a few hours

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What is a root care thesis?
Well I would not know your soil test, but of the N-P-K nutrients, (upN, downP, all aroundK) Phosphorus comes to mind. Unless you are loaded with it already. Tree stakes should help. Calcium is good for growth phases. Humic materials and other Carbon like composted material is good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds good. From what you described there may have been a watering issue, either too dry or too wet. The symptoms can be surprisingly similar. Even in a heat wave, I wouldn't change the watering that much.
If you see wilting and the leaves are still wilting after watering, then you know the problem isn't too little water.

Perhaps do an exploratory dig at the edge of the original planting hole to check the drainage. Do this a few days after you've watered.

Ask a Question