Short season sweet potato

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have luck with sweet potatoes in a short season (WI). Is there a specific brand of sweet potatoes, or a method that you can count on maturing early?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm kind of in the middle of answering your question so I don't have a definitive answer but can offer some info.

I started a few slips of regular orange sweet potato 8-16 as part of an experiment on using Hügelkultur in containers. They took off almost immediately and offer promising results. My first frost is usually early Nov. and will kill these vines. At that time, I can have somewhat of an answer to your question. This would be about 70 days to maturity vs normal time to maturity of about 120 days.

See below photo of currently where they stand.

swp 10-11.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply. I look forward to your results.

Had a frost about 10 days ago and it stopped the sweet potato vines cold.

I dug them up and the yields were pitiful...5 small tubers. The facts point to just not enough days to maturity.

They apparently need a lot more than the 70+ days I gave them. I'll give them the full-term next year.

Ask a Question