shed-top garden

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently living in a shed with a tin roof, my problem is that it gets direct sunlight most of the day and can make my room extremely hot, now i'm considering on somehow creating a rooftop garden to shade the roof but i'm a total newbie to gardening and don't know what kind of plants i can get to fulfil my needs.

I live in south-east Queensland Australia and am wanting to get plants that will maximise surface area covered but they need to be able to survive the hot conditions of the roof.

I also happen to have access to a lot of effluent water.

Artboard 1@4x.png

my general idea at the moment is to have rectangle pots arranged like so and to hopefully create some kind of canopy to plant to cover the roof

Thanks guys any help is much appreciated! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Soil is heavy, especially when wet. Is the structure strong enough to hold the weight? Have you thought about a shade cloth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome roof_plant. :) Chuck has a very good point, perhaps you would be better growing a climber up and over the roof. Something fairly fast growing like a Honeysuckle.

Ask a Question