Shed Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Screenshot_20210517-210845_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Hi. I have just got a new shed and bought wood preserver and wood stain. Will I be able to top coat over the preserver with the stain? Or will the preserver repel the stain?
Thanks in advance.View attachment 80030
Screenshot_20210517-210824_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210517-210845_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210517-210845_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 45
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @Braetac :)

You won`t need both of those. If you just stick with the preserver, it will colour, waterproof, and protect your shed all on its own.
Best to read the instructions carefully.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

What affects sheds most is rot from the bottom up, whatever you use to paint it.

The wood they're made of these days is from "sustainable sources," it has the consistency of "forced rhubarb." The low density makes it more susceptible to riot.

In my opinion it's advisable to get the base off the ground. Mine is on low brick piers, so there's six inches iof air space below it.

This is my shed I built from reclaimed roofing ply and three by two. It's had several coats of Dulux woodsheen and later Dulux wood stain over the years. There's no rot anywhere.

I took this photo two years ago, nothing's changed.

P1020443.JPG

I built it in 1976.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

What affects sheds most is rot from the bottom up, whatever you use to paint it.

The wood they're made of these days is from "sustainable sources," it has the consistency of "forced rhubarb." The low density makes it more susceptible to riot.

In my opinion it's advisable to get the base off the ground. Mine is on low brick piers, so there's six inches iof air space below it.

This is my shed I built from reclaimed roofing ply and three by two. It's had several coats of Dulux woodsheen and later Dulux wood stain over the years. There's no rot anywhere.

I took this photo two years ago, nothing's changed.

View attachment 80035

I built it in 1976.
Thanks. Laid a slab base and the floor of the shed is raised off the floor, so no chance of it sitting in a pool of water. The last shed was here when we moved in and was just on sleepers in the mud, so not the best for avoiding rot. Just hope this new one lasts as long as yours has.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @Braetac :)

You won`t need both of those. If you just stick with the preserver, it will colour, waterproof, and protect your shed all on its own.
Best to read the instructions carefully.
OK thanks. Wasn't sure if it needed a top coat as the blurb on the ronseal page mentions applying a wood oil also. But that's maybe just an extra layer of protection.

Ask a Question