She says she has tomatoes in January, have any of you tried this?

Reaction score
I would think so... how cold does it get where you are in the winter? I was supposed to go to Belize but now plans have changed and we are most likely going to NE Texas. Looking forward to a longer growing season

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would think so... how cold does it get where you are in the winter? I was supposed to go to Belize but now plans have changed and we are most likely going to NE Texas. Looking forward to a longer growing season
Well, NE Texas is a whole different world from where you are now. You will have a 365 day growing season. No more frozen tundra. Most of NE Texas is piney woods with a sandy loam, slightly acidic soil, perfect for growing vegetables and Texas is the world leader in organics. As Bob Barker said, COME ON DOWN

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This lady lives in central Texas, like I do. I was also wondering if one could start seedlings like that, way before it's time.

Sure she could. She has it heated and covered. But if that fence were not there to protect her tube from the north winds, not so much. A big norther blows in and that plastic tube will be in Galveston

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
R.R., I start tomatoes in January, but on shelving with flurescent lights inside the house. It's amazing how many seedlings you can get from a tray! I set them out to harden off in March, and have strong plants to set out in mid-March. With the winds we have, starting outside in hoop house or covered row is just not possible.

Attachments

• Seed Start 2.jpg
    Seed Start 2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I looked up hot box gardening but I haven't looked up the cold frame gardening yet. I will.

I'm going to start the tomatoes inside next year, too. I think having strong plants to put outside is very important.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I looked up hot box gardening but I haven't looked up the cold frame gardening yet. I will.

I'm going to start the tomatoes inside next year, too. I think having strong plants to put outside is very important.
You bet. They are stronger, bigger and cheaper than store bought

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Plus, you can have varieties that are not commercially viable. Not too many folks want to buy Mortgage Lifter starts for example, but you can grow your own.
R.R. if there is a Harbor Freight near you, they have the plastic shelving on sale frequently. The shop lights with just plain ol' fluorescent tubes work fine and aren't expensive. We haven't found the need to use "daylight" or "grow" light tubes.
We never had any luck with Roma tomatoes until we grew our own transplants. I don't know what the difference was, but I won't be buying Roma starts again!

Reaction score
Yeah you can because of the awesome weather in texas. Their weather during the winter is like 80 degrees and summer is 120. This makes it possible to grow tomatoes all year long lol.

Ask a Question