Shasta daisies(help)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any tips or advice and info you have or knowthat anyone could share with me would me greatly appreciated. Feel like am making mistakes as my dasies grow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had a ton of Shasta Daisies at my last house, very prolific and easy to grow

Where do you live?
How much light?
Soil?
Water?
In ground or in containers?
Are they close to a walnut tree?

What problems are you having? SPECIFICALLY. BE SPECIFIC.
Do you have photos?

Really, you have to help the internet help you. We are not psychics here. Just people interested in growing things. Please be more helpful if you want free information from people.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Where do you live?
How much light?
Soil?
Water?

Do you have photos?

Really, you have to help the internet help you. We are not psychics here. Just people interested in growing things. Please be more helpful if you want free information from people.

Hey thanks for getting back at me, I live in Los angeles I use micro grow potting mix and I water every day becouse the leaves wilt and it seems the plant likes shade and lots of wate.....I feel like my mistake was i cut off sum of the shade leaves or water leaves (I don't know the proper term for them) probably took like 25% of the leaves of. The plant looked alot more alive before I recently transfered it to a bigger pot now it looks droopy even the the leaves are pretty sturdy. Also there's to big stems sticking out an guessing that's where the flowers are gonna be ? And if yes why is there only 2 ?

Reaction score
Country
United States

Where do you live?
How much light?
Soil?
Water?

Do you have photos?

Hey thanks for getting back at me, I live in Los angeles I use micro grow potting mix and I water every day becouse the leaves wilt and it seems the plant likes shade and lots of wate.....I feel like my mistake was i cut off sum of the shade leaves or water leaves (I don't know the proper term for them) probably took like 25% of the leaves of. The plant looked alot more alive before I recently transfered it to a bigger pot now it looks droopy even the the leaves are pretty sturdy. Also there's to big stems sticking out an guessing that's where the flowers are gonna be ? And if yes why is there only 2 ?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They like it sunny and hot, probably somewhere in a south facing border with free draining soil.

Googled and have a look http://www.almanac.com/plant/shasta-daisies

PLANTING
  • Grow in full sun.
  • Soil should be moderately fertile, not overly rich, and moist but well-drained.
  • Sow seeds in containers in a cold frame in autumn or spring. Divide perennials in early spring or late summer.
  • If you seed directly, expect blooms the following spring after one season’s growth.
  • If purchasing a plant in a container, plant in spring.
  • Loosen the soil to a depth of 12 to 15 inches, then mix in a 2- to 4-inch layer of compost.
  • Space plants 1 to 2 feet apart. Dig a hole twice the diameter of the container.
  • When placing plant in the hole, make sure the top of the root ball is level with the soil surface.
  • Fill around the root ball and firm the soil.
  • Water thoroughly.
  • Many of the taller plants need support/staking.

CARE
  • Water during the summer only if rainfall is less than 1 inch per week.
  • After the first killing frost, cut stems back to an inch or two above the soil line. (See local frost dates.)
  • Every spring, apply some compost and mulch to help control weeds.
  • Every 3 to 4 years, divide perennials again in early spring or late summer.

PESTS/DISEASES
Aphids, slugs, earwigs, chrysanthemum nematode, and leaf spots may be troublesome. However, daisies are generally low maintenance.

RECOMMENDED VARIETIES
  • ‘Cobham Gold’ is a popular variety with double flowerheads and a yellow disc carried atop 2-foot stems.
  • ‘Horace Reed’ is an elegant daisy with double white flowerheads and incurved disk florets.
  • ‘Snow Lady’ is a fast-growing, erect, bushy perennial that blooms the first year from seed and produces single white flowerheads in the summer.I

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have planted Shasta Daisies for a lady in her flower garden on the driveway side. I got the idea to use Shasta Daisies from her childhood residence, where her father had planted Shasta Daisies.

Ask a Question