Shall We See Whose Cherry Tree Blossoms First This Year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a (right on the border between two)
Country
United Kingdom
Admittedly, I have no idea what cherry trees do south of the equator (so perhaps there are some in bloom now?). All I know is it's winter where I live and I am eagerly awaiting the cherry blossom - a sure sign spring has sprung - as there is a cherry tree in our garden. Just a bit of fun, nothing too serious.

Maybe we can check back in a couple of months or so? Hopefully I do not forget. Sadly no actual cherries for me, just blossom from the garden.

As I understand, the cherry blossom is big business over in Japan and their fascination with it is indeed fascinating. (Apparently) "Everything to Know About Japan's Cherry Blossom Festivals". It is their national flower after all!

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are evermore frequent reports of fruit trees, both crop and ornamental, blooming weeks or even months ealier than usual.

This year, my Semi-evergreen Pear (Pyrus kawakamii) began blooming at the end of November and has been in full bloom through December and now. Most years it doesn't produce flowers until mid- January. It is usually the first Rosaceous fruit tree to bloom in my area. I will keep my eyes openfor other early blooming apples, pears, quince, cherries, plums, peaches, apricots, almonds, etc.

Ask a Question