Shady Landscaping

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a horrendous fence, and an unsightly building behind my yard, that I've desperately been wanting to cover with privacy landscaping. As I live in Ohio (zone 6), I'd love to find something that is evergreen and grows quickly. I've always love yews, bamboo, etc. However, my next door neighbor has quite a few deciduous trees that are growing alongside the fence, which renders our yard full shade in the summer.

I keep finding evergreen solutions for a partial shade environment, but not full shade. Would anyone have recommendations for what could be used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)
There are loads of plants that enjoy shade. Climbers like some Clematis, Honeysuckle and Roses, climbing Hydrangea and Parthenocissus.
Ferns and Fuchsias etc. too........
Could you upload a photo of the space you want to plant - it would help us to think up a few more ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have a very shady area on the north side of our house - no direct sun at all. Various Hostas all do very well there, from little mouse ear ones to really big ones. They all flower prolifically, also Hydrangeas do quite well and it doesn't seem to phase the Heather either. One other woodland plant we had at our last house down in Oregon was Trilliums. Ours were wild but you can get different cultivated ones. All those are pretty hardy too. We live in high dessert shrub steppe now, so very hot summer an some very cold spells in winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Japanese laurel (acuba) does well in the shade and grows quite tall given any sun such as in winter and spring. Shade slows things down unfortunately, and tends to make plants leggy as they reach for what little light they can get. Tea olives smell nice and do well.

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
hops?

DSCF4608 (2).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1610445994249.png
Hydrangeas love shady places and ''petiolaris'' with white flowers climbs as well :joyful:
Yew and Holly also thrive in shade
1610446373274.png

Ask a Question