Shaded Border

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, although my garden is south facing i have a shaded border at the bottom
of the garden that in the height of summer gets maybe 2-3 hours sun max. In Autumn/winter it doesn’t see the sun. I tried bedding plants last year but were unsuccessful and also some
Lupins that quite frankly were awful. I am looking to put some low maintenance plants/shrubs in this area which is about 5 metre wide and 50cms deep. My wife is quite fond of Hydrangea and was wondering if anyone could assist me with some help/advice. I live in the NE of England.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, welcome to the forum.
Pieris is a good shade plant, with bluebells under it you get a nice contrast in Spring. Hellebores and cyclamen are also good. Cyclamen give you leaf and flower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the reply. Are there any more that you could recommend to me. They are nice the ones you have suggested but as I say it’s quite a wide are to cover.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, although my garden is south facing i have a shaded border at the bottom
of the garden that in the height of summer gets maybe 2-3 hours sun max. In Autumn/winter it doesn’t see the sun. I tried bedding plants last year but were unsuccessful and also some
Lupins that quite frankly were awful. I am looking to put some low maintenance plants/shrubs in this area which is about 5 metre wide and 50cms deep. My wife is quite fond of Hydrangea and was wondering if anyone could assist me with some help/advice. I live in the NE of England.
Hydrangeas could be a great choice for a shaded area in your garden. They prefer partial shade and can handle less sunlight than many other plants. Here are some tips for growing and caring for hydrangeas in your shaded border:

Choose the right type of hydrangea: There are several different types of hydrangeas, each with different growing requirements. Some popular types include bigleaf hydrangeas (Hydrangea macrophylla), oakleaf hydrangeas (Hydrangea quercifolia), and smooth hydrangeas (Hydrangea arborescens). Do some research to find the type that will do best in your specific growing conditions.

Plant in well-draining soil: Hydrangeas prefer soil that is rich in organic matter and drains well. If your soil is heavy and clay-like, you may need to amend it with compost or other organic matter to improve drainage.

Water regularly: Hydrangeas prefer consistent moisture, so be sure to water them regularly if you don't get enough rain. Avoid overwatering, which can lead to root rot.

Fertilize in the spring: Hydrangeas benefit from a light application of fertilizer in the spring, before they begin to bloom. Use a balanced fertilizer with equal amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium.

Prune at the right time: Depending on the type of hydrangea you choose, you may need to prune it at different times of the year. Bigleaf hydrangeas should be pruned immediately after blooming, while oakleaf hydrangeas and smooth hydrangeas should be pruned in late winter or early spring.

In addition to hydrangeas, there are many other low-maintenance plants and shrubs that will do well in a shaded border. Some other options to consider include ferns, hostas, astilbes, and heucheras. Good luck with your gardening!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question