Shade Ground Cover

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got little garden I'm fixing up and there's this cute little spot on the base of a tree that I'm going to hay. It's got these cute little gnomes and I really wanted to plant some creeping thyme. After some research, I learned that creeping thyme likes full sun. This spot is very shaded so I figure it wouldn't grow properly? Does anybody know any low ground covers similar to the creeping thyme but that enjoys the shade?? Thanks!
20210913_083229.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are so many choice. Star-jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) or Lesser Periwinkle (Vinca minor) would be easily available choices, but you may want to obtain something more unusual. For example, an assortment of fancy-leaved Heuchera would be a lively option.

Take note of the tree roots. It would be better to plant a number of smaller sized plants (4 inch pot or less) than a few larger ones. Mulch the whole area with fine bark after planting.

Also I must add, that I have both Golden Lemon Thyme (Thymus x ‘Golden Lemon’) and Silver Thyme (Thymus x 'Argenteus') growing very nicely in bright, dappled shade. If you really want some Thyme there, give it a try. Perhaps mix it with other low-growing plants for a tapestry effect.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Once established soleirolia soleirolii is a great shade ground cover if enough moisture is present. Don’t forget sedums. In arid areas and rock gardens many varieties do well. I have some pots of sedums in total shade.

Ask a Question