Shade Cloth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My spring broccoli,bolted this year because of early high heat,my garden is in 8 to 9 hours full sun,garden has suffered this year because of high heat and drought,was thinking about using some type of shade cloth for broccoli,cauliflower,winter squash. but I've found (Google) that it's. expensive $180.00 a roll, was interested,if anyone has ideas. THANKS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I used cheapie landscape close on my gh. They have lots of pinholes that let a little light through. Yes, it's black but I still found it kept things cooler than relentless sunshine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This is the first time I've heard of shade cloth. What we use for shade to protect vegetables from extreme heat of the sun is the bark of the banana tree. Removing the bark does not hurt the banana when the leaf (frond) connected to it is already wilted. Other planters here use the banana leaf to shield lettuce and cabbage from the searing heat of the sun.

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your edibles, @pixie N.C. My neighbors veggies are already having issues with the intense heat this year, heck, even I am having a lot issues with this intense heat! I hope our farmers don't have similar issues D: That is something that really worries me, because it seems every summer is just hotter and hotter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Unbleached muslin, at about $3.00 a yard, will act like shade cloth. Simply put stakes securely in the ground, and staple the muslin to the stakes. If you want, you can simply uproot the whole shebang and store it for next year. We often have high winds, and I've found that muslin lets the "breeze" through better than shade cloth.
It's a bit late in the season for broccoli and cauliflower. They are cool season crops that do better planted early and harvested in June, here in Texas.

Ask a Question