Sensitive Plant with spots

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

I have been growing some sensitive plants from seeds. They have been doing quite well until yesterday when I noticed some spots on the leaves. Now the leaves are wilting and curling up. I tried to see if maybe I had spider mites but I can't see any evidence of them other than these spots. I would really appreciate any help or advice! Thank you so much!
Sensitive plant 1.jpg
sensitive plant 3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What are they? Touch-me-nots? The pictures have a variation in the depth of field that blurs details so its hatd to see much other than the edges burning, which could be over watering or some other things. How are they now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are! I am really sorry for the quality of the photos. My breath made them close up and I was trying to get a good picture before they did that. I think it is a water issue. I had them in a makeshift greenhouse since I planted them and the soil was pretty much constantly moist from that. I took off the greenhouse cover and have let them dry out somewhat and they seem better today. It has been really fun growing these!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Love those cuties. They don't try to take a fingernail like the venus flytraps do. Moist yet well drained as I recall. Airy, not too humid. Do you think the potting soil has preloaded fertilizer that makes it too rich for them?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not sure. I had them growing in pods in a mini greenhouse then when they got big enough I moved them to the bigger pot. Then because I live in North Dakota and it is cold here...I made a makeshift greenhouse out of a milk jug that I rinsed out really well. They were doing fantastic for about two weeks then the spots showed up. I thought maybe they were too moist so I took it off and today they actually look better. I am hoping that is all it was.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Funny how the surface textures of a leaf have so much play in respiration. I will get up there one day but I am still learning about roots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree! I have learned a lot by growing these from seeds. May I ask you some questions about venus fly traps? My daughter really wants one and they look pretty neat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I do not know much. Peat and sand and perlite in a 50/30/20 seems popular as a acidic medium and distilled water with its 6 ph is literally the extent of what I would be able to offer and I read that on Google. They say never fertilize VFT.

Ask a Question