Self Seeding Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I found this interesting article about self seeding plants. Thought you guys might like it. It talks mostly about the different varieties of self seeding edible plants that there are out there and how to both care for them and a few tips on how to keep them seeding.

FYI this article is 4 sections. At the bottom of each section is the link to the next section.

Self-Seeding Crops You’ll Never Need to Replant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love the information from Mother Earth News, but I HATE the way they drag out the information in their articles. They would NEVER do this in a print format (sigh). Cultivating some of these plants just for seed in a small patch of the garden would be a great way to always have a steady supply of heirlooms, as long as you could keep them true to the parent plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm on page two and I have a problem with the suggestion of chopping off the seed heads and placing them on the ground where you want the plants to come up next season. First, there is no guarantee that these seeds will germinate. Second, doing this doesn't give you the opportunity to grow a fall or winter crop in the same area.

Third, if you harvest and save the seed you can preserve them for future use and for sharing (which will lead me to another point about seed starting - staggered plantings, etc.). And, last but certainly not least, you are not practicing crop rotation which could be detrimental for your soil in the long run.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree with you ChanellG, you want to save the seeds not leave them on the ground. Not to mention... SQUIRRELS. I love them, they are adorable, but they are a gardeners worse nightmare. If you leave the seeds on the ground, count them gone.

Ask a Question