Seeds Starting??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can I post a topic about seed starting and grow boxes in here? I didn't saw any forum category for seeds.
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Whatever doesn't fit into the other categories can go here. What about seed starting and grow boxes? So far this year I've only started peas and nasturtiums. Need to get some other things going, but have been trying to hold off for the last bit of cold to come through. We are expecting temperatures to dip down into the 30s again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've started peas, beans, onions, shallots, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, chillis, sweet peppers, leeks, tomatoes, tomato rootstock, pak choi, lettuce, radish, aubergines (eggplants) and celery, so far.
I've also planted spuds (seed potatoes ;)) in my polytunnel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a good category. I am ready to get my seeds started. I need some knowledge. Anybody got some great tips, I am ready to hear them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is a good category. I am ready to get my seeds started. I need some knowledge. Anybody got some great tips, I am ready to hear them.
IMO one of the most important tips in getting seeds to germinate quickly is to have your planting medium already wet. Then place your seeds on the top and gently pat them down to make good soil contact. Then sprinkle more soil over them to the desired depth. Water from the bottom when needed so as to not disturb or uncover the newly planted seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have a question about the planting medium. When I was starting seeds with the Jiffy organic seed starting mix, I had so much trouble getting it wet! I tried watering it from the bottom, but after a couple of hours in the sink, the medium was still dry. Then I decided to water from the top, and it took me a long while, too. That stuff was like water-repellent. Once it was wet it was OK, but I wonder if I'm the only one with this problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok here we go, just ordered the seed trays. I'm going to used egg cartons also

Heat Mat

Grow Light

Grow Box

Ask a Question