Seeds sent to me opened by postman??

Reaction score
Country
United States
This isn't the first time that I have had some veggie seeds sent to me in the mail only to have them opened, usually at the corner. Is this done on purpose by the postman? Maybe he wants some seeds too? Anyone else have this happen to them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I send seeds to people all the time, all over the world, and so far nothing like that has happened. How does anyone know what is in the envelope?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had seeds sent to me from France opened, i'm guessing it was the customs checking for drugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They have dogs here too, but I think they are after more important things like drugs and explosives

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Ask at the post office. There may be a perfectly logical explanation, or not. If not, the opening of envelopes will probably end.
Ask whoever is sending you seeds to not only seal the envelope, but to cover the opening with tape. I always do this because I don't trust the glue on the envelope to stay sealed, but it would also stop "predation!"

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the wonderful replies! I hope it does not happen again! There are some nosy ppl out there for sure. o_O

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Why would your postman steal seeds? Maybe it's the post office that's opening your mail. When I send mail outside the country, the people at the customs office usually open it a little to check if the items inside are the ones noted in the package notes. I don't think there's any need for concern, it's not like the postman is stealing money from you or something :D Calm down!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it was mailed as an letter instead of a package if it was thick the post office may have opened the envelop to confirm the content of the envelop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
The only time I've had mail opened was when things have come in from overseas and I think that's just customs making sure you're not bringing anything into the country that's prohibited in any way. I've never had it happen for domestic stuff that's been sent to me!

Ask a Question