Seeds from Madeira

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The missus has just been on holiday and brought me back seeds from Madeira, They are a tomato called RAF and a bean called Buenos Aires Roja. The cultivation notes on the packet are somewhat sketchy, and though I have looked them up on the web I am still a bit unclear. Will the tomato grow outside in this country (UK) ? All the references say either inside or out, but then talk about commercial greenhouse growing in Northern Spain. Am I too late to plant either this year? I found a reference that said I could plant the beans up to July and harvest til December, but I am guessing that is not in the UK, even though I live in the South. One site said they are early, another early to mid, another late.
My greenhouse is full of tomatoes already, so if they can't go out I might just wait until next year before planting. Similarly with the beans, they may well do better for a longer season. The packet calls the beans 'Tall bush', but the web describes them as 'Pole beans', the packet also says 'Plant 4 to 6 beans per hole', which seems pessimistic, I am also thinking I might do better to plant indoors in individual pots in this country.

Does anybody have any experience of growing either of these in England? Any info gratefully received.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The traditional day for planting beans historically in the UK is 1st June, so you're fine there.
Plant 4-6 per hole, because it may well be that each pole will take that number, or half, if that's what they think germination rate will be.
I sow three runner beans per cane, & the vast majority come up & deliver. (This year it's 43 from 54.)
Unfortunately, because your tomatoes are large ones, I think you've missed the boat on them, but they will keep until next year, if you store them cool & dry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply, partly I asked because they are exotic beans, not my normal 'runners', and actually look quite different on the packet. I normally grow runner beans in cardboard tubes and plant out 9" apart, never tried putting so many together, though I do give them a trench full of compost, so there could well be enough moisture and nutrition.
I shall get out there today and plant them, though I am not sure 'Historically' counts in a way. Watching Chris Packham on Spring Watch the other day he was comparing historical and present day studies and it seems Spring has moved back considerably, things are happening a full month earlier than they did in the late 1940's early 1950's.
It seems I can get these red beans here in what looks like an identical packet, so if they don't work I can always try again next year :)
Thanks again.

Ask a Question