Seedling Leaves pointing straight up?????

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My indoor cherry tomato seedlings (leaves) have started pointing up for some reason. I've read it can be normal and it could mean the plant is happy, but it could also mean a potential problem. Could it be my LED light, being too close/far? Or all's good? I planted it like, 8 days ago.

Any advice helps.

Pics below

Cheers :)

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20200410004041.jpg
    WeChat Image_20200410004041.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,210
  • WeChat Image_20200410004048.jpg
    WeChat Image_20200410004048.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,817
Reaction score
Country
United States
You are doing a good job and you have nothing to worry about. Your sprouts are standing up because they are happy and growing well. The important thing one needs to watch with growing plants under lights, is water management. The tiny roots need just as much oxygen as water and when you water, make sure and allow the soil to dry well to receive plenty of oxygen in the root zone before watering agian.. This term is called WET to DRY water management.

Reaction score
You are doing a good job and you have nothing to worry about. Your sprouts are standing up because they are happy and growing well. The important thing one needs to watch with growing plants under lights, is water management. The tiny roots need just as much oxygen as water and when you water, make sure and allow the soil to dry well to receive plenty of oxygen in the root zone before watering agian.. This term is called WET to DRY water management.

Thank you so much, Oneeye. At least I know I am heading in the right direction ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi guys,

My indoor cherry tomato seedlings (leaves) have started pointing up for some reason. I've read it can be normal and it could mean the plant is happy, but it could also mean a potential problem. Could it be my LED light, being too close/far? Or all's good? I planted it like, 8 days ago.
A little late replying but just joined the forum.

Young seedlings will do what yours are doing. No big issue. I am curious as to how far away are you keeping your lights. You don't want the seedlings to get long and spindly which they will do if they're struggling to get more light. I keep my florescent shop lights an inch or two above my seedlings. Best wishes.

Reaction score
A little late replying but just joined the forum.

Young seedlings will do what yours are doing. No big issue. I am curious as to how far away are you keeping your lights. You don't want the seedlings to get long and spindly which they will do if they're struggling to get more light. I keep my florescent shop lights an inch or two above my seedlings. Best wishes.

Hi, intheswamp . Thank you for joining my thread. I was happy to hear most of the seedlings do the same. I was however disappointed when I learnt it would be almost impossible to grow fully fruited plant with just one light bulb. For some reason, that's just not enough light, so it said I would basically need to get serious, pro lights if I ever wanted to see tomato fruits. :(

This is what I am using, maybe an inch awa from the top of the seedling:

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20200412193733.jpg
    WeChat Image_20200412193733.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 233
  • WeChat Image_20200412193741.jpg
    WeChat Image_20200412193741.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 302
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi guys,

Any advice helps.

Pics below

Cheers :)
I've seen my tomato seedlings do that and a few others seeding types. I actually think it's either a case of too much water of too much light, but I'm thinking it's more associated with too much light, because I've never seen them like that in the morning.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My tomato seedlings are currently pointing straight up as well. With mine it does change with the amount of light they receive. After being under a shop light for 12-14 hours by the end of the day they are pointing up, but after I turn off the lights overnight they flatten back out. I’m reducing the amount of light to about 10-12 hours. This is my 3rd year growing tomatoes and the first time I’ve seen the seedling leaves point up.

Ask a Question