Seed starting questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9or10
Country
United States
So I am still a novice at this gardening thing and I'm having some issues.

I planted seeds back about a 10 days ago into a large Jiffy seed starter peet kit with peet moss pods. So far I have about 6 of the 50 plants sprouted with no signs of life for the rest. The seed starter was placed inside the house as I read that was better than outside in the Florida weather. I'd like to plant my raised bed garden soon, but at this rate I don't have much to put in it.

I have: 3 types of lettuce, bak choy, green beans, spinach, arugula, tomatoes and a few other things.

Any tips? Should I put it outside (It's about 95 degrees and 100% humidity every day)?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I am still a novice at this gardening thing and I'm having some issues.

I planted seeds back about a 10 days ago into a large Jiffy seed starter peet kit with peet moss pods. So far I have about 6 of the 50 plants sprouted with no signs of life for the rest. The seed starter was placed inside the house as I read that was better than outside in the Florida weather. I'd like to plant my raised bed garden soon, but at this rate I don't have much to put in it.

I have: 3 types of lettuce, bak choy, green beans, spinach, arugula, tomatoes and a few other things.

Any tips? Should I put it outside (It's about 95 degrees and 100% humidity every day)?
Soil temperature is the key to starting seeds. The optimum temp for tomatoes is 85F, lettuce is 75, beans are 80, bak choy and spinach is 70. If you are starting the seeds indoors then your soil temp will be what the ambient temperature is inside your house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9or10
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I feel like the soil temp should be ok since I keep it about 76 degrees inside my house...I just moved them outside in hopes that something will pop up.

I'll keep that chart though, very helpful! Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Also how are you watering them? I started some vegetable. seeds in peat pots earlier this spring and set them in shallow pans so I could add water without drowning or dislodging the babies. :) The peat and soil wicked the water up.

Ask a Question