Seed starting mix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys I'm going with pro mix seed starting mix this year. I wanna add some extra perlite and maybe vermiculite. Is it possible to get to much of these products in it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perlite maybe but it depends on what seeds you are sowing. I've bought seedling grown in 100% vermiculite. Perlite mainly for draining and vermiculite for retaining moister but helps open the compost up for drainage as well, they not something you would use in the same pot. I don't use Perlite even though it would be handy for some cutting, I use vermiculite all the time for seed sowing

HarryS

Eternally Optimistic Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8B+
Country
United Kingdom
I add perlite to my seed compost at about 20% , it keeps the mix airey and from getting to wet . For the very small seeds that I sow on the surface , I always put a thin covering of vermiculite on top . This gives the seeds a very humid environment and still lets the light in .
That reminds me I need a new bag of each for this season .....................

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well..you have heard that drowning a seed is bad and that dessicating a seed is bad. Might I suggest a little cinnamon? Even though starting mixes have no need of fertilizer, they are breeding grounds for fungi. Also and probably most importantly, what temperature do those seeds want to germinate at and do you have a seed mat that can meet that temp?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do have a seed mat but still up in the air if it's working right. I was told seed starting mixes skimp on perlite and vermiculite. Had some extra laying around and was looking for a use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I do have a seed mat but still up in the air if it's working right. I was told seed starting mixes skimp on perlite and vermiculite. Had some extra laying around and was looking for a use.
A tip is to use a spray bottle of water instead of pouring in water to the point that drainage is an issue. The moisture content could be described as soil 24 hours after a rain rather than soil the day of a rain or 7 days after a rain. Use enough cinnamon to ruin a meal, and mix it in with a sprinkle on top. Spritz it all in at the last

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the help. The heat mat and thermostat is a vivosun. The heat mat is set at 77 degrees farenheight. It looks like to me it isn't kicking on and off until its at 79. Is this normal does anybody know? These are onion seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Burmuda grass greens up when those temps arrive. Quite a few warm season plants like a 70 to 75 start, like impatiens. When you put a mass on top of the mat, the heat does not go as far or as hot. @CanadianLori uses them pehaps she has insights.

HarryS

Eternally Optimistic Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8B+
Country
United Kingdom
Watering your seed starting mix is a problem for lots of gardeners . I mix the seed compost and perlite in a tray , and then add water to it then. If you lightly squeeze the mix in your hand it should hold together. If water drips out it could be to wet . I then fill my seed trays and lightly tamp down the mix . Make sure to label the trays , it is so so easy to forget which tray holds what . We have all done it ! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Easiest way to water seedling or freshly sow seed is to water from underneath, sit the pot in a tray of water for 20-30 minute or how ever long it takes until you can clearly see the compost is damp on top. Watering from above will wash seeds around, misting ok but it could take a while to get it properly watered and could possibly dry out if not watered enough . Feel the weight of the pot to tell if it needs watering again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With my tomatoes and peppers I always bottom water. I have onions started right now in aluminum loaf pans so hard to bottom water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
This is perhaps what makes gardening so interesting. You never stop learning. Perlite not only for some, aids draiage. It is also a valuable water/moisture retainer. Vermiculate can be mixed with soil/compost and will keep it open and light. It is also valuable as a covering for seeds that are surface sown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
With my tomatoes and peppers I always bottom water. I have onions started right now in aluminum loaf pans so hard to bottom water.
Your loaf pans should have holes in the bottom to allow for drainage. If not then you run a huge risk of your seedlings drowning. The loaf pan then sits in a larger loaf pan and bottom watering is still a cinch.

Ask a Question