Seed Starting Flats

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My dad used to make flats kind of like these and they are great for keeping the plants organized. I tried the cardboard or ground board...whatever they call it a couple of years ago, and they turned out to be a smelly rotting mess by the time my seeds started to sprout. You are supposed to plant them directly in the pot once the seeds start to grow. I will never make that mistake again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Those wood flats look really nice!
I start seeds in paper pots. They're very easy to make. I remember we had a whole thread about them here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Because of the high wind and dryness of the area we are in, not to mention the dead soil we have, I prefer to plant my seeds into the box I intend them to grow in. It saves me a step. Not to mention, it makes it easier for me to organize and maintain them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
seed starting flats can be made from free pallets, too. discovered this on Pinterest. Plus hundreds of other helpful gardening stuff can be made from pallets, also....check it out, it's fascinating....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A friend of mine actually made some out of cardboard boxes and another friend of mine used old coke cans and glue. The coke can one worked better of course and made for a great decoration. LOL

Ask a Question