Seed frenzy

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Picked these up at a closing down sale, less than 50p a packet :)

DSCN0773.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Wow, lots of eats there.

I tried carrots last year and was rewarded with ones about the size of my baby finger.

my yellow beans were really nasty too.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a shame Lori, don't let it put you off trying again.

Just clicked on your location, do you know Penny in Collingwood? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Collingwood is about 100 miles from me. I have visited there several times as it is a lovely place with good skiing in the windter and bathing in the summer. Is Penny on this forum? If so, I would like to say hello from a "neighbour"!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aah, looked nearer on the map :D

She's a long standing member of the uk forum, since 2008 I think. Noticed she hadn't been posting and when I checked her profile it said "Help, I can't post."

Sent her an email but not heard back from her yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have been looking at my seeds and trying to come up with a plan. Some are getting old and I'd like to try and use them if I still can. The seeds I ordered for garden #3 are in as well and I'm anxious to get started with them. No space inside so I need to set up an area for it outdoors and I'm trying to put up another makeshift greenhouse to handle seed trays and cuttings.

Reaction score
Oh, I'm so jealous! I wish I could grow all those things. Sadly my dreams have been rather dashed by the reality that no matter what I try I can't get enough sun to grow anything edible.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, I'm so jealous! I wish I could grow all those things. Sadly my dreams have been rather dashed by the reality that no matter what I try I can't get enough sun to grow anything edible.

Aww, that's a shame, you got too much shade then?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have been looking at my seeds and trying to come up with a plan. Some are getting old and I'd like to try and use them if I still can. The seeds I ordered for garden #3 are in as well and I'm anxious to get started with them. No space inside so I need to set up an area for it outdoors and I'm trying to put up another makeshift greenhouse to handle seed trays and cuttings.

You could try a germination test on a few of the older seeds, saves wasting time like I have with the onions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Dancinglady, tell us more about your lack of sunshine, and we may be able to help. Lots of vegetables don't require all the sun the seed packets say, and you can "cheat" by having some in containers that can be moved. There are lovely little platforms with wheels that support heavier pots, and can be zipped around to catch the sun.
Tell us, and we'll do our best to get you some edibles!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow:D I love sales!
LIke you know, I don't have a garden anymore, but I bought some seeds yesterday too (radish and mung bean). I'll sprout them:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking @claudine maybe you should get a tray and start a moss and liverwort garden on your window sill, the fairies would love it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You could try a germination test on a few of the older seeds, saves wasting time like I have with the onions

Yes, I could do that. Something like this:
53f92c9d4d8c737e421e66530abef5c9.jpg

I have some nasturtium seeds soaking now. I already put some in starter mix that I sanded a bit with a nail file. The seeds aren't that old, only about two years, but you know how it goes...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I was thinking @claudine maybe you should get a tray and start a moss and liverwort garden on your window sill, the fairies would love it :)
Sounds like a great idea! A small moss garden will look beautiful here:)
Currently, fairies live in my sprouter. I'm sure they like tiny radish leaves:D

Ask a Question