Seed Banks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@roadrunner thread on old seeds got me thinking about those seed Banks you see for sale all over the web. Had anyone purchased any of these? How long can the seeds really last stored in your average air conditioned home? I'd love to have a good stock of seeds on hand. But the idea of 50000 seeds just doesn't seem realistic as I would NEVER use them all before I imagine they would go bad. But then again... Maybe they will last longer than me?

125 Variety Non GMO Non Hybrid Heirloom Seed Bank - Emergency Food Supply - Prepper, Survivalist, Gardener Pack - Vegetables - Fruits - Herbs. LIFETIME GUARANTEE! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PR4TPVY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_9SzQBbGKKWYAC

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think those seed banks are a scam. How do you know if the variety of bean or tomato they offer is compatible with your area. Take Brandywine tomatoes for instance. I have tried for years to grow them as I think they are one of if not the best tasting large tomato there is. But I can't because my climate gets too hot too soon for them to produce. I can't grow mayacoba beans either. My altitude is too low,. As to the length of time a seed is viable it depends on what the seed is. Hard seed like okra lasts longer than soft seed like a tomato. Humidity kills seed faster than dry air. Plastic envelopes kills seed quicker than paper. Heat kills seed faster than refrigeration. Those seed banks are a doomsday scenario. When you see doomsday around the corner race to your hardware store and steal all of his seed. He won't care because money won't be worth anything anyway and besides that he'll be dead shortly. So, IMO, get your seeds from a reputable seed source. Know what will grow well in your area. And remember, when doomsday arrives will you live where your nice irrigated and fertilized garden is or in some cave somewhere?

Ask a Question