Sea shells

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I understand that gardeners can use crushed oyster shells in the soil to add calcium to the garden. Does anyone know if I can add crushed sand dollars in the same way??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Stick with oyster shells, but like @zigs said, not the live ones :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
According to Wikipedia, the sand dollar skeleton is made from calcium carbonate, so I would have thought it would be ok... That being said I wouldn't know whether it imparts calcium to the soil in the same way as oyster shells.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Should do then, bit of ph paper should show :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would have thought they would be ok. You should give them a try and let us know how you get on! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Needing the shells would be a goo excuse to have oysters for dinner one night. I personally do not like oysters, but is an excuse none the less. I live near the ocean and frequently see people who have added shells to their garden, but I never understood what the purpose was. I am now a smarter person:p.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Needing the shells would be a goo excuse to have oysters for dinner one night. I personally do not like oysters, but is an excuse none the less. I live near the ocean and frequently see people who have added shells to their garden, but I never understood what the purpose was. I am now a smarter person:p.
Glad I could be of assistance. :geek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Me too, Rosyrain. :LOL:
Isn't it a great forum....learning new things.:cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Sometimes we crush the oyster shells for the calcium that would enrich the soil. But based on our observation, it is not that effective. I remembering doing that when we moved here in 2001. And the crushed shells remain in the soil and do not decay so we needed to remove that. What is more effective for us now is the water used to wash meat and fish. It is much better for use as fertilizer.

Ask a Question