Screening plant

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Looking for a screening plant to put up against a low metal bar fence we have running along the side of our property to give some privacy for our deck which is next to the yard and also to make it easier for the dog to chill on the grass without getting worked up by passers by. Looking at around 3m high, don't want anything too big that would be overly imposing or hard to manage. The tricky part of the area is that its wedge shaped, with the narrowest part being around 2m in width from the fence to the property and then getting wider to about 4-5m at the other side. I've had a look at some plants like murraya's or camelia's but worried they might grow too thick and essentially block off a path to the yard at the narrow entrance. Would looking for a thin type of bamboo be a better option? Any advice appreciated as I'm pretty novice at gardening, cheers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3m is quite tall, but at the same time you don't want to have it too wide, and you do want it to join up in a continuous screen. Do people use privet around your way, it would take time to get it into a hedge that high, rather than sticks with a hedge along the top, but it wouls certainly do it if you took half the new growth off the top regularly so it branched.
Careful with bamboo, the ones that make a clump are okay, you can control the size of it by halving it or taking lumps off, but some of them send out runners and are likely to take over.
Have you considered a fence? Then you could put ornamentals against it and not worry about them screening fully, things like clematis, honeysuckle, and even a climbing rose could look great if they get enough light, that depends on the aspect a bit, and not be too wide or need much maintenance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another idea would be Buddleja
We grow them, but I am cautious recommending them. They produce a lot of feather-light seed and grow almost anywhere, tearing apart brickwork and such. British Rail spends several million pounds each year trying to control it, and I bet they spread a lot of poison about doing it. Okay if you are willing to accept the social responsibility of dead-heading. With the sort of strict laws Australia has I wouldn't even be surprised if they are banned there.

Ask a Question