Scratch and sniff

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Can you smell the aroma of onions wafting off your monitor? If so, it's because I was trimming and cleaning onions this morning. We had a good crop of yellow, white, and red onions this year, and after hanging in the barn for a while, they were ready to be cut off their dried tops, have the roots trimmed off, and the outer (dirty) skins removed. They are in the pantry in baskets, waiting to be used.
My husband came in, took a sniff, and asked, "Do we plant anything that doesn't smell up the house?" I replied that the garlic looked about ready to come in. He is such a good, patient man . . . .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Re: video: How some religions brainwash people! If some food is said to increase your passion, you manage it, not avoid it. Hearsay and irrational sayings dumb people down!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I still remember every spring when my dad and I would dig the horseradish up from the yard. Clean the roots and throw them in the blender with a little vinegar. All was good till you took the lid off the blender- Tear gas doesn't burn that bad! I still make small batches.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Mrsclem, you brought back memories of daddy and granddaddy and their horseradish. They would go down to the basement, chop horseradish roots very fine, and put them in bottles with vinegar, just enough to cover the choppings. We couldn't go into the basement for several days, which was a problem since that was where the wringer washer was located!
I still use horseradish sparingly, but it is purchased from the grocery. I don't know if horseradish would grow here in Texas, but I also don't intend to find out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I made a small batch this year using a microplane instead of a blender. The raw root had almost no taste so put it in a jar and added a small amount of vinegar. Still nothing. Put a lid on it and shook it, smelled it , nothing . Went to let hubby smell it and it hit me before I could hand him the jar! Great on steaks and deep fried breaded zucchini!

Ask a Question