Scrambling for Corn this year

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The weather has been extreme here this spring...cold nights from mid-March to mid-April followed by record heat and drought from mid-April to now. This has played havoc on getting my successive stagger plantings of corn going.

In the first planting, about half failed to germinate so I transplanted the survivors into a reasonable grouping and then planted the second round which also germinated poorly this time due to lack of soil moisture. Again, consolidated and transplanted into a good grouping for pollination purposes and just a few days ago made the third planting which now runs the risk of too much heat during the maturing phase.

I can't remember ever having this much difficulty getting our stands of corn going. Looks like we may end up with three 16 ft stands of 4 rows each heading into the hottest months. The trick is getting each of the stalks in a group pollinating at the same time to maximize ear production. Very difficult to do this year here.

Glad I'm not a farmer depending on the income, but really have to respect what they do.

corn plantings.JPG

corn plantings 2.JPG

Ask a Question