Scion on rootstock?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Persian lime tree. I am worried that these other two branches might be rootstock suckers. I don’t know where the graft line is so I don’t know if these branches are from the Persian lime or the rootstock. All the leaves coming from the three branches smell like lemon though and I currently have a few lemons sprouting from the largest middle branch. I think the other branches have sprouted lemons as well but i don’t remember for sure as they currently have no lemons sprouting. I will also attach a picture of when the Persian lime tree was small as well, and a picture of the lemons from the middle branch.

Attachments

• E475E4AE-78E4-4EC9-B53A-49CF25BE6F48.jpeg
    E475E4AE-78E4-4EC9-B53A-49CF25BE6F48.jpeg
    331.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

When you say that 'lemons' are sprouting, do you mean that you have seen two noticeably different types of fruit on this plant?

All the leaves look homogeneous to me. As far as I can see, this appears to be one type of Citrus, either Persian Lime (Citrus × latifolia) or something quite similar. It is possible that your tree is not grafted at all, but is a seedling or cutting grown on its own roots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

When you say that 'lemons' are sprouting, do you mean that you have seen two noticeably different types of fruit on this plant?

All the leaves look homogeneous to me. As far as I can see, this appears to be one type of Citrus, either Persian Lime (Citrus × latifolia) or something quite similar. It is possible that your tree is not grafted at all, but is a seedling or cutting grown on its own roots.
As far as I can tell all the fruits sprouting are limes (I meant to say limes not lemons sorry) but the limes are quite small so even though the leaves are quite big those are not full sized limes by them. I though the tree was grafted though because I’ve had it for a little over a year and as far as I’ve read trees that aren’t grafted take up to seven years to produce fruit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your tree might be grafted, but in any case, I don't think the rootstock is sprouting.
Overall, your tree looks very healthy. Good luck with harvesting a successful crop.

Ask a Question