Schefflera Plant Too Tall!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive had my schefflera plant for 12 years, I grew it from a seed. It has gotten way too tall for how skinny is it. My plant is about 6ft tall with only one branch off at the base which is around 3ft tall. the base of the plant is probably as thick as an index finger with some of the woody material forming at the base. I really want to prune it and cut it back but I am afraid of killing it. I want to take off like at least 3ft (around where the blue thing is) but I think will kill the plant. How much can you cut a plant back before killing it? I want to create a more fuller plant. help.
IMG_0603.jpg
IMG_1925.jpg
IMG_0348.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pruning plants is very important and should be done every year with most house plants. Many people look at pruning as amputation and pass on pruning, which is a big mistake. Plants love to be pruned and when pruned correctly they will grow much faster, thicker and stronger. The difference between pruning and amputation is, pruning always grows back, where amputation has nothing to grow back. So don't be afraid to prune, because its good for the plants.

Ask a Question