Scaling on Jacaranda?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
accidently hit the post button. Its about 1.5yrs old. Has developed what I think is a scaling, but I'm not sure. Just looking for some advise. Its still growing very well.
20200829_152931.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sorry about that, couldn't get a good one with my phone.
20200829_170850.jpg
20200829_170859.jpg
Here's a couple better ones.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
From what I've read about the jacarandas, they don't need much fertilizer. So I do it once every few months. I found this other thread that seems to have the same issue, and Chuck seemed to think it was a hard scale insect. I may try a neem oil solution and see if it helps.

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
From what I've read about the jacarandas, they don't need much fertilizer. So I do it once every few months. I found this other thread that seems to have the same issue, and Chuck seemed to think it was a hard scale insect. I may try a neem oil solution and see if it helps.
NO! I said I didn't think it was scale. I thought I would do some research and find out what it really was and all I could find was the fertilizer issue but I did come across other folks who have had the same thing. They all had one thing in common and that commonality being that the plant had been moved from outside to inside. All of the little trees exuded a clearish type sticky sap on the trunk and some stems of the seedling tree.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Chuck, do you think this could come from a problem in the roots of the tree? I am thinking of something similar to phytophthora and I am sure I`ve seen a similar problem elsewhere :unsure: Could it possibly be wise to investigate what is happening in the roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck, do you think this could come from a problem in the roots of the tree? I am thinking of something similar to phytophthora and I am sure I`ve seen a similar problem elsewhere :unsure: Could it possibly be wise to investigate what is happening in the roots?
I just don't know. It would be a big help if we had the history of the plant. As far as roots are concerned, if it were my plant that would be the first place I would look. However, this seems to be more of a guttation or transpiration issue. Sort of like overwatering and the added water from the roots caused a pressure increase and liquid was exuded from the trunk. From what I read from folks whose tree had this issue the tree was outside for a period and then brought inside but they didn't say what the temps, humidity or anything else was. I too have seen a similar problem but I can't remember where or what. Just another of Mother Natures mysteries I suppose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had another thought, I know I`ve seen a similar thing on tomato plants, and I think the reason (crossed posting @Chuck ).....um, yes the reason too much water/humidity causing primordia making the plant endeavour to form roots !

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Chuck, no need to get defensive. I had linked an older page that you replied to but its saying "waiting for moderator approval". If you look at the bottom of this page their's an area that says "similar threads", one of them is titled "Young jacaranda tree issue, pest? Disease? HELP!"

In that one you said it may be a hard scale insect. The pictures that person posted look the same as my tree. In the time I've had the tree I've fertilized it about 4 times, and changed the soil about 3 months ago. The disease started before changing the soil over. The plant has always been indoor. I have it under a grow light for about 10hrs a day, placed about 3' from the light.

I do appreciate the help. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Your problem is totally different to that other post, which required a different answer from Chuck. He has looked at YOUR plant (as I have) as a separate issue.
I really hope you don`t have too many more problems you might need help with :mad:

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Your problem is totally different to that other post, which required a different answer from Chuck. He has looked at YOUR plant (as I have) as a separate issue.
I really hope you don`t have too many more problems you might need help with :mad:
It's tough to tell emotion from a post, I'm not trying to be rude in any way and apologize if it came off that way. I thought that other post's pictures looked the same to me. Or at least similar.

Ask a Question