Saving your onions for the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
image.jpg Once we have grown our crops of veggies, then we have some that are not eaten immediately, such as onions , which need to be stored so they can last into the winter for our soups and stews.
A really simple way that I was just reading about is to use paper sacks, label the sack ( onion, garlic, red onion, etc.) and then use a paper punch to make holes in the sacks.
Store your onions in these sacks, and it will help protect them from molding and rotting.

Reaction score
Neat idea. I have never heard of this until now. I have seen onions hung in panty hose with knots between each onion but this sounds easier. I rarely wear hose so I never have any on hand. I think I will try this with the paper bags though. Thank you for the tip.

Reaction score
Huh, good to now. I thought they'd grow if left.

That said, I also read the post title as "shaving your onions" so I have been wrong before.

Reaction score
Great tip. Thank you for sharing this. I never have hose on hand, so the paper bag will work for me!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It sounds like a great and very simple idea, I really like it. Actually, I must say that I find the paper bags quite pretty, I'll definitely make a few like these too. Thank you for the inspiration:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I don't usually have pantyhose either so I will give this a try. I also have a food dehydrator but the bag idea would be less work. :)

Ask a Question