Salvaging seeds

Reaction score
What's the best way to salvage and store vegetable seeds from this years garden for the next year? Any and all suggestions will be attempted.

Reaction score
I have allowed vegetables to get large (go to seed) till they fall off the vine. I am no expert but I would slice open (for example) squash and allow them to dry in the sun, then later pick out the seeds. I tried this with several types last year and actually had a good rate. I think you need to consider where you live, since I note you are "up north" and it may be a bit drier down here.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good question Morelogs.

Depends on the types of plants.

Probably not worth saving seed from F1 hybrid plants, as it won't grow true to type.

Peas are easy enough, they generally don't cross with other varieties, I save heritage varieties quite regularly, just let them dry in the pods then store them somewhere mouse proof.

Tomato seeds need fermenting to save them.

Not worth saving Cabbage family unless you've only grown one type, even then, seeds can cross with neighbour's plants, so you could end up with a Purple sprouting kale cauliflower sprout cabbage :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Good question Morelogs.

Probably not worth saving seed from F1 hybrid plants, as it won't grow true to type.

Peas are easy enough, they generally don't cross with other varieties, I save heritage varieties quite regularly, just let them dry in the pods then store them somewhere mouse proof.

Not worth saving Cabbage family unless you've only grown one type, even then, seeds can cross with neighbour's plants, so you could end up with a Purple sprouting kale cauliflower sprout cabbage :D
I have never fermented tomato seeds and usually get close to 100% germination the following spring.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats interesting Bees, I was just going on whats being discussed in a secret tomato growing thread. Group of members on another forum are resurecting an old variety between them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I just spread the seeds on kitchen paper towel and let them dry.

The juices evaporate, and the sugars in them remain behind in the paper.
When I sow them, I just tear up the paper to spread out the seeds and put it on a seed tray, almost full of compost, cover with a fine layer (compost or vermiculite, water, and put in an unheated propagator indoors. (My home is centrally heated)
I move the propagator to the sunniest windowsill I have as soon as they germinate to keep them from getting leggy.

With vine tomatoes, I try to save seed from struck side-shoots, as the resultant plants are definitely more vigorous.

I ALWAYS get better germination rates that from bought seeds, both for tomatoes and chillies.

Good luck with your resurrection.

Reaction score
Good question Morelogs.

Purple sprouting kale cauliflower sprout cabbage? Sounds delicious :confused:
So Zigs, whats the best way to store,say, zucchini seeds over the long cold winter. I heard somewhere that they should be refrigerated but that didn't sound right to me. Also, how does one go about "fermenting" tomato seeds?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D If you were to keep saving seeds from the cabbage family, eventually they'd revert to the Wild Cabbage they're all decended from.

Some folk I know keep all their seeds in a fridge, i've not bothered, just keep them somewhere cool but frost free.

I like this woman's T shirt :)

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video on the seed fermentation, I had never heard of that before. (But then, I've always started fresh with new purchased seeds or seedlings every year.) I'm contemplating growing cabbage next year so..onward to google to best discover how to do that!

Ask a Question