Salted Alaska Cod.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/2016/January 2016/4 January 2016 Salted Alaska Cod/HTML/ 4 January 2016 Salted Alaska Cod.
Purchased 3 pounds of salt fish cod fillets and made one pound into a fish stew.($6.99/lb) The fish was soaked in cold water for 24 hours and the water changed about four times to reduce the salt content. A pot was mixed with 1/2 cup of vinegar,carrot/cucumber juice,tomato juice, diced baked potato, garlic bulb diced. Enough juice was added to completely cover the fish chunks. It was brought to a boil, then the heat reduced to simmer for about 20 minutes. The cooked fish was such the it broke into flakes at a touch.The end product was absolutely delicious. Simple to make and becomes a meal by itself.
dsc_81634%20january%202016%20salted%20alaska%20cod._std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks very delicious, and I will take this with hot rice. Yum!

Reaction score
Looks very good, I totally love fish soup! It's probably one of my favorite dishes :) I like to serve mine with plenty of liquid and some fish meat (we often use blue fish), it's delicious, @IcyBC! You should give it a try one day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks very good, I totally love fish soup! It's probably one of my favorite dishes :) I like to serve mine with plenty of liquid and some fish meat (we often use blue fish), it's delicious, @IcyBC! You should give it a try one day!

I will @Trellum I love hot and sour fish soup but to find wild caught fishes around here is hard. They sell lots of different fishes but they are farm raised. I used to buy catfish but not anymore. I like salmon and cod, the wild caught ones.

Reaction score
I will @Trellum I love hot and sour fish soup but to find wild caught fishes around here is hard. They sell lots of different fishes but they are farm raised. I used to buy catfish but not anymore. I like salmon and cod, the wild caught ones.

Why don't you like the farm raised ones? Are the wild caught ones tasting better or something like that? Is it because in the farms they use a lot nasty stuff like antibiotics? I just ask because over here we don't really have a choice when it comes to that, most of our fish comes from farms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why don't you like the farm raised ones? Are the wild caught ones tasting better or something like that? Is it because in the farms they use a lot nasty stuff like antibiotics? I just ask because over here we don't really have a choice when it comes to that, most of our fish comes from farms.

Yes, @Trellum farm raise uses lot of nasty chemicals to get the fish to grow bigger and faster so they can sell them for money. After I watched the document on how farm raise chicken, cows, pigs, and fishes, I just couldn't go back to buy farm raise ones.

If it is possible, check out the farms where you buy your fishes from. Some have tour that you can take and watch how they raise their products, especially the ones that advertised the healthy side of their business.

Reaction score
Yes, @Trellum farm raise uses lot of nasty chemicals to get the fish to grow bigger and faster so they can sell them for money. After I watched the document on how farm raise chicken, cows, pigs, and fishes, I just couldn't go back to buy farm raise ones.

If it is possible, check out the farms where you buy your fishes from. Some have tour that you can take and watch how they raise their products, especially the ones that advertised the healthy side of their business.

Thanks! I had heard about that (mostly about chickens and cows), but never about fish. I will surely try to check or local fish farms though, I heard that some farms raise their fish in a very unhealthy way (all crowded in a space too small for them). Since the Fukushima incident I thought farm was a safer choice, but it's sad to find out it really isn't :/ Sometimes i wish I could just give up fish :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Love fish soup, I make it with catfish, its a stronger taste but I was raised on catfish, we had 2 large ponds that we raised them in with out and kind of chemicals, they love muddy water and grow fast :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That looks very tasty, and what a good use of something that is normally very salty. I really love cod fish and will eat it in just about any form imaginable. Thanks for sharing your latest food product.

Ask a Question