Salicylic acid and plant defenses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I recently was reading about salicylic acid and how it intereferes with the grow hormones called auxins, even though salicylic acid is considered to be a hormone itself. I have read works that say SA is in the auxin family, which is an early growth stimulator group and I have read other works that indicate it is a contributor to senescence hormones found at the end of a plants cycle. This seems to be 2 crossed purposes. This last and very recent paper I was reading was proving that SA has an antagonistic relationship with Auxins and if SA is present ( you used aspirin) it will denegrate auxin and put the plant into a defense mode, which seems to come at the expense of the growth mode assisted by unimpeded auxin availability. I have always been a proponent of using aspirin for powdery mildew control and some other uses, but now I suspect I would only consider its use on a mature plant so that it does not hormonally inhibit growth by cancelling the growth hormone auxins. I thought it would be useful to write this out for my own understanding, so I will leave this here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There was me thinking that salicylic acid was just something people used on their skin! You learn something new every day :)

Ask a Question