Sago palm pups underground???

Reaction score
Country
United States
My "pups" are attached to the trunk about a foot below the soil. Is it planted too deep? It's probably 30 years old. Should I lower the soil level around the trunk?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums. This seems to be a duplicate post. This happens frequently on the Forums. Why, I'm not certain.
I'll just copy and paste my reply form the other thread.

If your Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta, most likely) is doing well and has grown with soil at a certain level for many years, maintain that soil level. Pups or Offsets will emerge from below ground and grow to the surface naturally with time. Exposing much more of the trunk suddenly could make the plant unstable and damage its root system.

Are you interested in propagating your sago Palm by removing the offsets? This can be done, but the same concerns about root damage still apply. Excavate around the offset carefully, and if necessary, cut the attachment to the parent trunk with a clean blade. It is preferable if roots come with the offset, but this does not often happen. In either case pot it up and give it care similar to that of the parent plant, with time it should produce roots.

Ask a Question