Safe for kids fertilizer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! We are looking for a fertilizer for our new Marathon sod, but we want to use one that is kid friendly and safe. Does anyone have any recommendations? Here are some possibilities we found online, would love to hear thoughts on these or others:

1. Espoma Organic Fertilizer

2. Scotts Natural Lawn Food,11-2-2

3. The Andersons Innova Organic Fertilizer, 7-1-2

4. Purely Organic Lawn Food, 10-0-2

5. Worm Castings Organic Fertilizer, Wiggle Worm Soil Builder, 1-0-0

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
How about a dog? They'll make nitrogen deposits and play with the kids...

I sow clover in my lawn - works great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I also got over the idea of using hormones that can turn male amphibians into girls. Poo Poo the idea, but look around you at the progeny from the well kept neighborhoods.

This is a statement that is controversial and I know it. I will strike it if you have evidence that opposes it.

Statement: Household financial decision that preclude weed inhibiting chemistry for the yard upon which children play as they mature results in healthier children.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic I only think I understand what you are saying.

Can I rewrite it as - and yes this revision changes your whole meaning:
Kids who play outside on the lawn, in the dirt, in the snow, in the woods as the mature results in healthier children.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pick a fert, any fert, if that’s all it is it doesn’t matter. Professional athletes play on turf that is fertilized with all manner of fertilizers. Your local schools and parks use all kinds, too. It’s pesticides that matter and any that are available to homeowners are safe when they dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Pick a fert, any fert, if that’s all it is it doesn’t matter. Professional athletes play on turf that is fertilized with all manner of fertilizers. Your local schools and parks use all kinds, too. It’s pesticides that matter and any that are available to homeowners are safe when they dry.
Herbicides too. Hormones are interesting. Like Atrazine, that turns male frogs into females such that they can actually reproduce. Google it up.

Ask a Question