Sad pepper plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Hey everyone :)
I've got an issue with a pepper plant that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.
The variety is "Pretty N Sweet" that I started from seed in the basement. It's listed as an excellent container variety, so I have it planted in a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom and filled with potting mix.
I planted it out on May 20th, and it had been looking great until about a week or so ago when the very top leaves became discolored.
Over the last week, I've noticed that the discoloration is spreading from the top down and the blooms have dried up.
I know peppers can be fussy, so I only water every couple days when the soil feels dry. I have a container tomato plant just a couple feet away in the exact same bucket setup, and it is thriving and forming fruit, so I'm not sure what is going on with the pepper.
Thanks for reading my long-winded post... just trying to be thorough :D
I've included a couple pics too.
20170614_174831.jpg

Attachments

• 20170614_174849.jpg
    20170614_174849.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 20170614_174914.jpg
    20170614_174914.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey everyone :)
I've got an issue with a pepper plant that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.
The variety is "Pretty N Sweet" that I started from seed in the basement. It's listed as an excellent container variety, so I have it planted in a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom and filled with potting mix.
I planted it out on May 20th, and it had been looking great until about a week or so ago when the very top leaves became discolored.
Over the last week, I've noticed that the discoloration is spreading from the top down and the blooms have dried up.
I know peppers can be fussy, so I only water every couple days when the soil feels dry. I have a container tomato plant just a couple feet away in the exact same bucket setup, and it is thriving and forming fruit, so I'm not sure what is going on with the pepper.
Thanks for reading my long-winded post... just trying to be thorough :D
I've included a couple pics too.
View attachment 22399
What are you fertilizing with? It looks like a lack of nutrition issue to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
What are you fertilizing with? It looks like a lack of nutrition issue to me.

I gave it a mix of 1/2 strength MiracleGro and 1/2 strength fish emulsion at planting, and the same thing again 2 weeks later.
I was planning on fertilizing again this weekend because it's been another 2 weeks, and I was thinking about removing the fish emulsion from the equation and just giving it full strength MiracleGro.
The potting mix it is in is fresh and has slow-release fertilizer in it, and I put a couple inches of broken down compost in the bottom of the bucket before adding the soil... so I was worried that I might be over fertilizing it.
Everything else in the garden is coming along great, but apparently peppers are going to be the thing that gives me trouble. I had three regular bell peppers planted last year, and harvested exactly zero peppers. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I gave it a mix of 1/2 strength MiracleGro and 1/2 strength fish emulsion at planting, and the same thing again 2 weeks later.
I was planning on fertilizing again this weekend because it's been another 2 weeks, and I was thinking about removing the fish emulsion from the equation and just giving it full strength MiracleGro.
The potting mix it is in is fresh and has slow-release fertilizer in it, and I put a couple inches of broken down compost in the bottom of the bucket before adding the soil... so I was worried that I might be over fertilizing it.
Everything else in the garden is coming along great, but apparently peppers are going to be the thing that gives me trouble. I had three regular bell peppers planted last year, and harvested exactly zero peppers. :ROFLMAO:
As I thought, you have a nutrition problem. The last thing to use on a pepper plant is MiracleGro. But since that is what you have use it full strength EVERY time you water. The fish emulsion is a great additive, don't stop using it. Next time you will have much better success if you mix in a granular organic fertilizer instead of any Scotts product. If you want to use liquid or water soluable fertilizers use Espoma or Medina HastaGrow or Dr Earth.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
As I thought, you have a nutrition problem. The last thing to use on a pepper plant is MiracleGro. But since that is what you have use it full strength EVERY time you water. The fish emulsion is a great additive, don't stop using it. Next time you will have much better success if you mix in a granular organic fertilizer instead of any Scotts product. If you want to use liquid or water soluable fertilizers use Espoma or Medina HastaGrow or Dr Earth.

Ok, thanks! :)
I do have a granular organic called Tomato-tone that I've been using on all my tomatoes and squashes this year and they are doing fantastic... wasn't sure if the pepper would do ok with it or not.
I actually used up the last of my MiracleGro the last time I fertilized, so I can definitely pick up something else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok, thanks! :)
I do have a granular organic called Tomato-tone that I've been using on all my tomatoes and squashes this year and they are doing fantastic... wasn't sure if the pepper would do ok with it or not.
I actually used up the last of my MiracleGro the last time I fertilized, so I can definitely pick up something else.
Tomatotone is by Espoma and an excellent fertilizer for peppers. I do think however that your pepper needs a big shot of nitrogen. Get some bloodmeal and use it first. Mix it with water and pour it into the soil as a drench..

Ask a Question