rye grass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little while ago I had a few patches on my lawn and stupidly put ryegrass seed in those areas, and obviously, it's grown too long and spoils the look of the lawn.
TBO the lawn is not like a bowling green (far from it:rolleyes:), but I wondered how/if the ryegrass can be rectified in some way without major surgery?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A little while ago I had a few patches on my lawn and stupidly put ryegrass seed in those areas, and obviously, it's grown too long and spoils the look of the lawn.
TBO the lawn is not like a bowling green (far from it:rolleyes:), but I wondered how/if the ryegrass can be rectified in some way without major surgery?
Some herbicides impact certain grasses but it can be very situational. For example, you failed to mention the type of other grasses. Lets assume warm season grasses. There are hormones that kill cool grasses but will not kill st aug, burmuda, centipede or zoysia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm here in the UK. Having been there and done that regarding turf culture etc. Here in the UK, sowing rye grass is not generally a practice for the home garden. Yes! lawn seed mixtures here often contain rye. For instance playing areas and sports fields. A typical seed mix might be. Rye, Yorkshire fog, Canadian brown top. The inclusion of rye grass is for wear and tear. It is a tough species, and will be a problem in the average garden. Heavy commercial like mowing is needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some herbicides impact certain grasses but it can be very situational. For example, you failed to mention the type of other grasses. Lets assume warm season grasses. There are hormones that kill cool grasses but will not kill st aug, burmuda, centipede or zoysia

Sorry, I don't know what the other grass's are. We inherited the lawn with the house

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I'm not a good gardener (still learning :rolleyes: ).
i guess I'll have to just keep it mown short :D
I am not big on herbicides, but sometimes I have no or poor choices. Many weedkillers are grass specific. Some allow fescue but kill other grasses and weeds for example. This would be an example of a Northern lawn weed killer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
See Shakepeare: A rose by any other name etc blah blah.

But is it a rose to you? Its considered a grass technically. Can you make it beautiful like a rose? I have 5 types of grasses in different solar areas and where they do not like it they look like crap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, it's patchy but doesn't look too bad once mowed, so just have to put up with it I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK, the garden centres sell turf which can come from different suppliers, so the variety of grasses can differ, from centre to centre. They mostly are unable to tell you which, but it usually doesn't contain rye grasss. So re-turfing part of of a lawn can result in different colour and texture. Keepinng the grass short disguises this in most instances.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Friends. If I may suggest. Much out of curiosity I googled (typed in, rygrass) as an internet search. The answers are all there. If only the internet had been around 60 yrs ago, when I did my groundsmans course. Hope this helps.

Ask a Question