Russian Ivy Control Measures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a russian Ivy which is serving a very valuable purpose. It is growing up a 12 foot high fence and giving me good protection from a nasty estate behind my house. It needs to stay.

Problem is that that the damn thing grows so vigorously and I would like find a way to make it less maintenance. The thicker and higher it grows the better (but only on the outside of the fence).

I am building a log cabin with a pathway between the log cabin and the Russian ivy. I don't want it getting all up in the log cabin. I am thinking that a fine wire mesh type solution could work if I wire mesh it all up the inside of the fence. Ideally green mesh.

Can anyone suggest a good wire mesh that will keep the thing only growing on one side of the mesh please?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Silver Lace Vine (Fallopia baldschuanica), also known as Bukhara Fleeceflower or Russian ivy, is a vigorous vine in the Knotweed Family (Polygonaceae), native to Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Tadzhikistan. It may be either deciduous or semi-evergreen depending on climate.

What you are suggesting is putting a large sheet of fine mesh over your Russian Ivy vine, essentially sandwiching it between the fence and the mesh screen or net. I am sure you could find a mesh that is fine enough for the vine to not grow through it, but the vine will likely find away to grow up, over, or around. In addition the aesthetics of having the vine mashed up against a mesh screen sounds atrocious, especially after dead leaves and branches start to accumulate...

If there is a pathway between the vine and the log cabin you should be able to see and stop the vine long before it becomes entangled on the structure.

As an alternative, perhaps prune the vine back harder but less often. Yes that is still some labor, but think of all the work you saved not putting up the mesh. Do you have a sturdy step ladder and a comfortable pole pruner and shears? Investing in the right tools might make the job less onerous.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your honesty in your response, I appreciate that. You are right, it probably would look a bit nasty but I am thinking if I paint it green (or get an already green one) it won't be so bad. The question is whether my priority is looks or creating a lower maintenance garden. Of course it will get around the edges a bit but keeping this under control will be so much easier that trimming the damn thing. I do have a long arm hedge trimmer which I just got that will make maintenance a bit easier.

It will be in a narrow walkway between the building and the building entrance so not part of the nice area of the garden. It is only a route from entrance to garden to entrance to log cabin. My priority is low maintenance rather than aesthetics.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It sounds like you know what you want. I hope it does work out well.
Please do post pictures, its always interesting to see others' garden efforts and construction.

Ask a Question