Runts

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ever bought a 6 pack of plants, planted them out and one of them just doesn't thrive like the rest of them no matter what you do? Do you do the smart thing and yank that runt out of the ground or do you struggle on spending more on fertilizer, water and time hoping it will change and start to catch up with the others, finally ending up at the end of the season disappointed? I will bet that it happens a lot and we do the same thing year after year trying to fix something that can't be fixed. I think that is the definition of insanity. Are all gardeners nuts or is it just me?

Reaction score
Sometimes it takes more time for the runts to get the hang of it, I know that I have regretted pulling them out. Often times they end up being the most productive. Not that much time, energy, and food/water are spent on one plant. I stick with it until it dies. Its up to you to choose what you want to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I always leave them, regardless of size, and just let them all grow at their own pace. I have found that sometimes it just takes some plants longer to get the roots developed and grow, and suddenly they seem to just catch up with the rest of the same plants.
And if they don't, as long as they are alive and growing, then it is fine with me.
I try to find the little cartons that have more than one start in them, and then I can divide them up and have two plants from just purchasing one plant. They are often smaller when there is two of them, or at least one of them is small and one larger.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'm used to growing with very little space, and I nearly always grow from seed.

This means that I usually have more plants than I can use.
I plant the best, and offer the rest to others, if no takers...
guillotine.jpg

Reaction score
Well, in the past I did try to save that plant, specially if it was one of my precious ornamental ones. I did everything I could to save those who seemed so weak, I did it until they eventually died or thrived. It seems some plants are just meant to die anyway, trying to save them is just a very normal reaction, I guess. I bet I'll end up doing the same once I start gardening again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andree12

Latest Threads