Rubber plant sos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have had this rubber plant since January time, it has lost 3 of its lower leaves over time which I know is normal. There has been no new growth from the plant since I got it and now it is looking a bit sad. Usually when the leaves started to droop I would water it and they would perk up again the next day but for some reason even after a thorough watering the leaves are still drooping and feel very flimsy. I thought maybe it wasnt getting enough light so I have been putting it in a sunny window the last week or so an no improvements. I checked the soil today and it is still moist at the bottom so don't want to water it again. Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• 20200602_135510.jpg
    20200602_135510.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 127
Reaction score
Country
United States
Take it out out the deco container to allow the bottom of the pot to get more air. Put it on something to raise the holes off the surface to allow for more air flow. You need more oxygen in the root zone to allow the roots to dry well. After you take the pot out of the deco container, is if light weight or heavy? If its light then you may need to water and if its heavy you will need to allow more time between waterings. Another way to check the moisture, is to use your finger and stick it between the soil and the container to feel if the soil is wet. It the top inch is dry and the nursery pot is light then its time to water. When you water, water until you get a little water to come out the bottom then stop, and don't leave the plant setting in water. If you notice the red tip on the rubber tree below is unraveling and about to add a new leaf. Your tip on top has turned green and dormant which tells me you may have root problems. Turn the plant every couple of days to get sun on all the leaves. I hope that helps.

Attachments

• masonlid2.JPG
    masonlid2.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 120
  • fingerinsoil.JPG
    fingerinsoil.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1934.JPG
    IMG_1934.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 161
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, thanks very much for your advice I will try that. At the moment it is feeling quite light but when I check the roots the bottom still feels slightly damp, when I did give it a good watering about 10 days ago I was checking on it every other day and thought it stayed very wet for a long time so I think what you are suggesting about letting more air in is right as I have not watered it at all in around 10 days. I was reading another thread about letting more air in so I took a wooden stick yesterday and poked around the soil carefully to try and allow some air in to the roots. Hopefully I can keep the plant alive. It has never produced a new leaf since I got it in Jan. Thanks very much.

Ask a Question