Rubber Plant dying?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi! I think my rubber plant is dying. Please help me. A few weeks ago bottom leaf was becoming yellowish green from dark green. Then suddenly the bottom leaf became brown and curled like the photo. And it fell off. The soil is pretty dry as I watered them a few weeks ago. What should I do? The bottom ones keep becoming lighter green and fell off! (Upper ones look super healthy) I'd like to do something before all the leaves are gone. Any comment would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 4.29.44 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 4.29.44 pm.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 4.29.34 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 4.29.34 pm.png
    160.4 KB · Views: 150
Reaction score
Country
United States
You have lost your bottom leaves because you are not giving your plant enough water. When a Rubber tree loses its oldest leaves first, it is due to too dry of soil. When you water your plant, water it until you get a little water to come out of the bottom of the container then stop. Empty your drain tray quickly and don't leave you plant setting in water. It may take a lot of water to hydrate your plant, so use as much as needed to get a little water to drain out of the bottom. When your soil and roots are hydrated well, it will take less water the next time. After you water let the top 2 inches dry well before watering again, and use your finger like the photo below to check the dryness. You can use mason jar lids to keep the container from sitting in water while you water. There nothing wrong with your Rubber tree except its thirsty.

Attachments

• masonlid1.JPG
    masonlid1.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 112
  • draintraywithmasonjar.JPG
    draintraywithmasonjar.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 111
  • fingersoil.JPG
    fingersoil.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 108
Reaction score
Country
Australia
You have lost your bottom leaves because you are not giving your plant enough water. When a Rubber tree loses its oldest leaves first, it is due to too dry of soil. When you water your plant, water it until you get a little water to come out of the bottom of the container then stop. Empty your drain tray quickly and don't leave you plant setting in water. It may take a lot of water to hydrate your plant, so use as much as needed to get a little water to drain out of the bottom. When your soil and roots are hydrated well, it will take less water the next time. After you water let the top 2 inches dry well before watering again, and use your finger like the photo below to check the dryness. You can use mason jar lids to keep the container from sitting in water while you water. There nothing wrong with your Rubber tree except its thirsty.

Wow this definitely helps thanks! I really wasn't sure if it was too much water or too little water as I saw that rubber tree doesn't like to get overwatered. Thank you I'll give it water right away !

Ask a Question