Rotting Okras

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I do not know how many threads I have made already because of my love for my okras.

I was going to harvest some today, but I noticed that ants are all over the fruits. The hairy caterpillars are also back. They are not only on the leaves, but also on the produce. The other okras also have little brown patches, so I couldn't harvest them anymore. I think that this is a disease, so I want to ask about the solution to this. I don't want to cut them down because I have grown very attached to them.

Thanks for all the tips. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I do not know how many threads I have made already because of my love for my okras.

I was going to harvest some today, but I noticed that ants are all over the fruits. The hairy caterpillars are also back. They are not only on the leaves, but also on the produce. The other okras also have little brown patches, so I couldn't harvest them anymore. I think that this is a disease, so I want to ask about the solution to this. I don't want to cut them down because I have grown very attached to them.

Thanks for all the tips. :(
Okra attracts ants and what I use on mine is Diotomacious Earth and Spinosad. DE doesn't work after its wet but it is cheap and goes a long way. The best thing for caterpillars is Bt with Spinosad a close second. Or just put on some gloves and squish them. The brown patches may or may not be a disease. It is probably ant damage. Send a pic

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Okra attracts ants and what I use on mine is Diotomacious Earth and Spinosad. DE doesn't work after its wet but it is cheap and goes a long way. The best thing for caterpillars is Bt with Spinosad a close second. Or just put on some gloves and squish them. The brown patches may or may not be a disease. It is probably ant damage. Send a pic
Yup. I realized that I forgot to take pictures when I posted this. Sorry sorry! I will take some later, so you can help me better. Thanks a lot. :D

Ask a Question