Roses in a Hot Climate

Reaction score
I want to grow roses in my tiny garden but not so sure about the weather. Can roses grow in a hot humid weather? There many kinds of roses, can you suggest one that grows in a hot climate like mine? I have a tiny plot that have roses in it but it looks malnourished and the buds gets dry before it even bloom. I am new in gardening and quite unsure of what I am doing so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
We have hot and humid weather for most of the summer in Connecticut and roses do very well here. You don't say where you live so it is difficult to recommend something that would grow well in your climate conditions. Why not Google it or, even better would be to go to a reputable garden center in your area and talk to them? They would certainly know what plants work best in your conditions.

Reaction score
I would very much agree with everything that firelily has already said - especially as I too have grown and still do grow roses in an extremely hot climate - in fact many of the roses that I grow - seem to thrive on the long hours of scorching hot relentless sun that they receive.
Roses are sturdy, dependable and extremely versatile plants with an enormous variety of species to choose from and I too would suggest - that the best option is to take a look at which ones are sold in the garden centers near where you live, as well as which ones are growing in peoples gardens - but saying that you wouldn't go far wrong if you were to chose from some of the Hybrid Tea Rose or Floribunda varieties or even the beautiful Rosa Banksiae which I know for sure will grow in any climate.
Roses are extremely heavy feeders and as you mentioned that your bed looks extremely malnourished - you may also need to consider enriching your soil - in order for your roses to flourish.

Reaction score
Most roses do well in the heat. They love sunshine, too. You will need to keep them well watered. The key is finding a sunny spot where they will thrive. Then, the roses will do most of the work themselves. Just weed, water and watch them grow.

Reaction score
I love roses! I live in Florida. My dad can't seem to grow roses here. I do know that they can thrive in my area though because I see them downtown and at my college. He grew them when we lived in South Carolina. Maybe he just stopped trying as much here.

Reaction score
We have hot and humid weather for most of the summer in Connecticut and roses do very well here. You don't say where you live so it is difficult to recommend something that would grow well in your climate conditions. Why not Google it or, even better would be to go to a reputable garden center in your area and talk to them? They would certainly know what plants work best in your conditions.

Hi, I am from the Philippines where the sun gets too hot for most plants. We get around 33 to 36 degrees in the summer. Thank you for reminding me about local garden center. I am new to all this thing.

Reaction score
the best option is to take a look at which ones are sold in the garden centers near where you live, as well as which ones are growing in peoples gardens - but saying that you wouldn't go far wrong if you were to chose from some of the Hybrid Tea Rose or Floribunda varieties or even the beautiful Rosa Banksiae which I know for sure will grow in any climate.
Roses are extremely heavy feeders and as you mentioned that your bed looks extremely malnourished - you may also need to consider enriching your soil - in order for your roses to flourish.

You will need to keep them well watered. The key is finding a sunny spot where they will thrive. Then, the roses will do most of the work themselves. Just weed, water and watch them grow.

Thank you so much for the tips really appreciate it. I have no idea where to start until I saw this. I would love to grow roses so bad and I will be following your advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
The main concern here in Florida is the root stock. The problem is the nematodes that attack the rootstock if you use the wrong type. The fortuniana rootstock is a must. Other rootstocks either do not work at all or not as well. Fortuniana is a double cherokee. Single cherokee has become a slightly invasive species in Florida, It also works as a rootstock.

Reaction score
I live in Florida and we've never had trouble with keeping roses alive, so I wouldn't worry too much about the heat and humidity being a problem. We even have one rose bush we've never really taken care of and it just survives all by itself and has done for many years. It's a good idea to search for local advice though, they'll know what's best for your area.

Ask a Question